Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

NASCAR looking for ways to differentiate the Busch Series (Challenger?!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default NASCAR looking for ways to differentiate the Busch Series (Challenger?!)

Pony Car Talk
NASCAR looking for ways to differentiate the Busch Series

Automotive News / April 17, 2006 - 1:50 pm
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../60417030/1111

NASCAR continues to look for a way to differentiate the Busch Series from the

premiere Nextel Cup Series, in answer to critics who suggest Busch has become Cup Lite, with near-identical cars and a plethora of invading Nextel Cup drivers.

One possible way: Change the Busch Series cars from sedans to the manufacturers’ “pony” cars—the Ford Mustang, Chevrolet Camaro, Dodge Challenger and Toyota Solara.

Sound farfetched? It isn’t.

“It’s under discussion with NASCAR,” said John Fernandez, director of Dodge’s racing operation. “It isn’t to what I’d consider the serious stage, but it is under discussion.”

Dan Davis, director of Ford Racing Technology, said, “We’ve discussed it. And I’d like to see it. We need to do something about the Busch Series.”

Given the production schedule of the Camaro and Challenger, it is unlikely those cars would be able to enter the Busch Series before the 2008 season, with 2009 a more likely scenario. By then Nextel Cup’s Car of Tomorrow redesign should be in place. One scenario would have the Busch pony cars built on modified platforms from the Nextel Cup cars used now, thus helping team owners who say the Car of Tomorrow seriously reduces the value of the old cars.

Manufacturers are hoping that if it happens, NASCAR will allow the pony car racers

to resemble their production counterparts, with parity achieved through front and rear spoiler adjustment and weight. It’s also possible the reinvented Busch cars could be the first to use fuel injection.

The change would also limit the value of running the Saturday Busch race to gain data for the Sunday Nextel Cup race, one reason many Nextel Cup regulars, called “Buschwhackers,” have invaded the Busch series. At the Busch race in Texas, 11 of the top 15 finishers were Nextel regulars, with the top Busch regular Paul Menard coming in seventh.

Old 05-02-2006, 06:42 PM
Dakota_24
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NASCAR looking for ways to differentiate the Busch Series (Challenger?!)

Hell; I think it should be the other way around; bring the pony cars into the Cup level, and put the sedans back into Busch. It'd be a hell of alot better to watch, and it'd make better sense. I just dont like the Fuel injection thing; keep things as close to the way they've been.

Old 05-02-2006, 06:45 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: NASCAR looking for ways to differentiate the Busch Series (Challenger?!)

ORIGINAL: Dakota_24

Hell; I think it should be the other way around; bring the pony cars into the Cup level, and put the sedans back into Busch. It'd be a hell of alot better to watch, and it'd make better sense.

There's still one coupe in Nextel, the Chevy Monte Carlo SS. That being said, I completely agree with Dakota_24 for a change. I think the pony cars would be a much better draw on the main stage then the Ford Fusion, Dodge Crapper I mean Charger, and the Toyota Camry.

That being said, it wont happen. The COT has been a long time coming....and to be honest...you could slap any name on that tub and it wouldnt matter....as they'd look nothing like the car they are emulating..

Old 05-03-2006, 02:06 AM
Dakota_24

You know DevilsReject, these are the kind of cars that TRAC was going to use.

Old 05-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought you were done with NASCAR?

Old 05-05-2006, 12:24 AM
dodgebrothers
Veteran

Adds a whole new meaning to the "Back in the day" series. I hope they do it, cup or Busch.

Quick Reply: NASCAR looking for ways to differentiate the Busch Series (Challenger?!)