Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Ponies can't run uphill.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 12:18 AM
SeXyinTrepid
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ponies can't run uphill.

About a week after I got my new Intrepid, I had family visiting from out of state, so we decided to go over to White Sands National Monument in Alamogordo, NM. On the way back, I got stuck behind a guy in a new Mustang coupe who was going about 10 mph below the speed limit and was tapping his brakes about every 5 seconds.

Before I tell the story, however, let me take a moment to set the stage for you.

The trip from Alamogordo to Cloudcroft is 16 miles of winding mountain roads. Alamogordo is at about 3000 feet above sea level, and Cloudcroft is just under 9000. Most of this stretch is 2-lane highway, with little or no shoulder, and only the occasional guard rail. Every few miles, a passing lane opens up for a short distance to allow passenger cars to get around larger vehicles that are struggling up the side of the mountain.

So as the Mustang and I come up on one of these passing lanes, he stays to the right, and I take the left lane in order to pass him. Apparantly he wanted to keep me behind him, because he gunned it. I kept even with him, and we were soon both doing about 65 mph (in a 55mph zone). As we passed the sign that said the passing lane ended in 750 feet, I had to make a quick decision - either drop back behind the 'stang and put up with his idiotic behavior for another 5 miles or so... or floor the Intrepid and pass both the Mustang AND a dual-cab pickup towing a 20-foot trailer at about 45mph. Wanting to test out my new car, I of course floored it. I made it around the front of the truck just in the nick of time, as the 2 lanes merged back into one; leaving the Mustang stuck behind a trailer full of, appropriately enough, smelly horses.

I love my Intrepid.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:40 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Ponies can't run uphill.

very nice...i know that the auto stangs didnt rate well in high gear acceleration...at least with the prior generation (2002 model year)

Old 05-05-2006, 05:28 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice! I hate when ******** speed up cause they don't want you to pass... [:@]

Old 05-05-2006, 12:22 PM
SeXyinTrepid
Professional

People going under the speed limit really irritates me too.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:08 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

That brings back many hateful memories going through the Missouri/Arkansas Ozarks in similar situations like yours. In the old 2.5L, I'd find myself stuck and it got to the point of not even trying. Good job in showing that guy

Quick Reply: Ponies can't run uphill.