Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

V8 iroc daytona , raced a honda

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 09:59 PM
1996ramkid
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: V8 iroc daytona , raced a honda

the hemi out of at truck?

Old 06-08-2006, 10:08 AM
StupidFast D100

I have a '84-'86 Daytona that's backhalved with a 8 3/4 that's going to be drag raced only. Deciding on what heads to put on a 360 stroked to 408, looking for w-2's or the indy smallblock heads. The target et is high 9's or very low 10's, it will be throttle-stopped most of the time to 10.90. Well I have been looking at all the information on the 5.7 hemi's for the last couple of days. I seen someone was dyno'ing the different cams in it and got 500 hp with headers and the comp 273 cam with a tune up only. The 5.7 as I understand it has the transmission pattern of the small block 727?? If this is true then it would great because I just bought a brand new JW bellhousing for the sb dodge to powerglide. I see Mopar sells a carburated 6.1 hemi, well do you know if they sell just the intake for the carb'd version 5.7?? I figured with a .600 lift cam and ported heads with my 1050 cfm carb and some 12:1 compression ratio pistons,motor could easily produce 600 hp which would get me to my target.

Only downfall may be the rods, I haven't seen any aftermarket rodsyet but haven't looked really hard. Do you have any suggestions or answers to this 5.7 hemi idea of why it would be better just to stick with a 360 and the indy heads?

Old 08-09-2006, 04:16 PM
exline
Rookie

the hemi i have came from a 2003 truck. they sell a conversion package including intake carb wiring and computer for the ignition for around $4000 ! I thought that was a little high! I can get the wiring and computer to run this motor from street and performance for about $1200 .I also seen the five hundred horsepower article and that was what i was planning on doing to mine but with ported heads also.I also seen a place selling stroker kits for the 5.7 hemi and am still thinking about doing that.
The bolt pattern is the same for the transmission as a smallblock.but the crank offset is about 60 thousanths different. but its no problem i got a fly wheel from mcleod actually the first one they made for the new hemi , and that will make it work. I'm using a t56 six speed behind it , i got the kit from dark horse performance .

I think it may me cheaper for now to stick with the 360. but you wont be able to say you have a hemi!
I wanted the hemi for the reason that there is so much room to make more power and still be streetable.500 HP sounds good for just a cam and headers and a little computer work.what will happpen with a little head work and a stroker kit? I dont know for sure which would be better. if you can get a hemi cheap you may be better with the hemi. I got mine for $2500 with 3000 miles on it and i thought that was a good deal. so even after i but the cam for $300 and get the computer tuned for $300 buy the wiring and computer thats only $4300 and i will have 500 horse or close to it! I have that much in my aluminum head 360 but probably not that much horse power.even if i get the heads ported i will only be up to $5400 ($1100 to port the heads where i checked) and i should be well over 500 HP then. but then there is still that stroker kit?

Old 08-12-2006, 06:43 PM
moparmanjames
Veteran

exline I'm a little curious, how is the flywheel going to compensate for the crank centerline being .060" different??
I would expect to have to use some offset dowels for proper alignment.

Quick Reply: V8 iroc daytona , raced a honda