Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Magnum R/T v. Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 12:11 AM
blackmagnumrt
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum R/T v. Corvette

Over the weekend I was near Gettysburg, PA on 30 when I stopped at a light next to a rag-top Corvette. I'm not much of a Corvette buff so I don't know exactly what year it was but I know it was a late model and it wasn't a Z06. As soon as I stopped, he started revving his engine (which, btw, sounded nowhere near as sweet as the Hemi with a custom exhaust does). I figured I would go for it and that I would at least give him a run for his money. Boy was I wrong! The light turned green and I was with him neck and neck through first. Then what appeared to be a puff of white smoke came from the front end of his car (I could be wrong since I was concentrating on the race but I am pretty sure it came from the front of the car) and he proceeded to blow my doors off. I mean, I went from being right with him to 6 car lengths behind in about 6 seconds. He kept on it until I could hardly see him and I flashed my lights at him and got off of it (so he would save his license and not kill himself over what turned out to be a no-contest run) but he kept on going until he was out of sight. About 3 miles later I see him sitting on the side of the road in a terrible spot with his flashers on. I was 2 lanes away but I wanted to make sure he was ok, so I circled around to check on him. I got even with his driver's door and was greeted with "the finger" and the mouthing of the words that generally accompany that gesture. Needless to say, he can be there rotting right now for all I care after that so off I went. I've heard of poor losers but poor winners? Nothing like being a pr*ck and chasing away someone who was willing to help.

I know that Corvettes are fast but I really thought I could at least hold my own against all but the Z06's and "exotics." What does everyone think? Throttle in a bottle? Extensive mods (none that I could detect including exhaust - it looked bone stock to my admittedly untrained eye)?

Still looking for a gear swap...

Nick

Old 08-19-2004, 12:18 AM
zinger11
Default RE: Magnum R/T v. Corvette

Sounds like you were just being polite...it's too bad that there are people out that like that - "sore winners"

Btw, very nice ride! I think the Magnum R/Ts look excellent...nice choice

Old 08-19-2004, 02:11 AM
yooformula

That sucks to have to hear that especially from the person that won the race. If it was nitrous, it wouldnt leave a puff of smoke or anything, it would just haul. More than likely it probably had basic mods and was an M6. The Hemi puts out 330-340hp(not sure about the Magnums)at the crank and the C5 puts that much down to the rear plus more if its modded not to mention its lighter in weight. You having an auto put you out of that race from roll on. Alot of Vette owners I have encountered after a race are snobs anyway. Way to take a loss like a man!

Old 08-19-2004, 05:55 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It just goes to show the typical type of person that owns a Vette. It could very well have been bottle fed, and since it didn't leave you right off the start lends itself to supporting that theory. The puff could have been him purging the tank before use, kind of an in your face kinda thing, then it got used and he left you sitting. This would also explain why he was broke down up the road, he kept into it nitrous all the way.[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 08-19-2004, 11:32 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there were 2 magnum RTs running at the nat's, and i was very VERY impressed...I dont like whole wagon idea...but they are movers...

as for guys breaking...i had one guy in an OLD SSEI bonney blow something while running on the street early this summer..and i went back to see if everything was ok,and the first thing he said was "sweet ride"...its a shame the guy in the vette was such a dick. if i were you, i would have done a huge smokey burnout right there...

just wait until i get my pics of the factory 71 hemicar vs the factory 04 hemicar..the challenger didnt do a burnout...the magnum did a MONSTER burnout...'
hey blackmag have you had your car to a dragstrip??

Old 08-19-2004, 12:14 PM
blackmagnumrt
Professional

I haven't been to the dragstrip since I moved east from Wisconsin in 2000 and (obviously) never with this car. I used to run quite a bit out at Great Lakes while I was there. I was a police chief in Wisconsin and we ran a "Beat the Heat" program that helped local kids get turned onto working on cars instead of other bad habits. We hooked them up with local mechanics who donated their time and we sponsored trips to the drags. As a special treat, once a year we took them to the drags and let them smoke some of our marked cars. If people only realized how slow some of those things really are... I was meaning to ask you about local 1/4 mile runs since we are from the same area. Any suggestions?

Nick

Old 08-19-2004, 01:02 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

im not sure i understand your last question...do you mean you want a location on some tracks? or you want to know what magnums have run at the track?

Old 08-19-2004, 01:14 PM
blackmagnumrt
Professional

I was looking for your recommendations on area drag strips with test & tune nights. Sorry for the confusion. I'm not sure I was fully awake yet.

Nick

Old 08-19-2004, 01:32 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

im afraid i dont recall where in the ohio valley you reside. if you give me the closest major metro area? i live very near pittsburgh and i go to either pittsburgh raceway park, or quaker city raceway in salem ohio. PRP is poorly run, terribly organized, and expensive as they go, but its fast-ish. quaker is a beautiful facility, is very precisely run, but is a mild uphill grade. my RT ran about .4 slow there, and my mirada ran about .1 slow...about 3mph off. however, last time i went to quaker I made it into the finals after getting 4 TT runs, and i made 3 TnT runs after elims, plus i got a free run in the RT...so it was alot offun that night...

PRP is NOT that way...for TnT, you get 5 runs..and their advertised business hours are, say 5-10...if 2 cars show up, and it takes 20 minutes to run those 5 runs each...youre done. i think ive been there once in about 8 years where i got 6 runs...the people that own it are ******...as our the employees, but its fast...and regardless of how much the track such...a bad day at a crappy track is better than a great day at work...for me anyway..

Old 08-19-2004, 01:53 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blew up his GM POOPY in the process of beating your RT..Cool.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Quick Reply: Magnum R/T v. Corvette