Ram Eco Diesel Discuss topics specific to the Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

Has anyone seen or test driven the new V6 diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:42 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mystro
I just tested the new diesel last week. I didnt find it that responsive as diesels go and the Hemi will eat it alive performance wise. I passed on it and preferred to buy a new CC Laramie with another Hemi. My dealer has a few new diesels in various trims and they are not selling well for them.

I keep an eye on them at the three dealerships around here. They seem to only get one in stock when they sell one, but it's rare any individual ED stays on the lot more than about 10 days. Many gassers are on the lot 70+ days but again, a lot of that has to do with the fact these dealers have 40 or more gassers to every one ED.

As far as "performance", it depends on how you define it. The Hemi will crush the ED in any race, plus no "turbo lag". Also, because the torque numbers are pretty close and the Hemi is lighter the towing capacity is pretty close between them.

Where the ED will stand out is it barely has to work to do what it does. So the MPG numbers will be FAR superior while still having capabilities comparable to the Hemi despite having barely more than half it's displacement. A HUGE advantage would be MPGs while towing. That 20 MPG Hemi could easily be reduced to single digit MPGs if pulling as little as 5000-6000 lbs. in certain terrains/conditions where the 28 MPG ED could probably maintain 20+ MPGs.

Although I firmly believe the ED will stay and sell in larger numbers than we are currently seeing (just look at how many other truck makers are scrambling to have 1/2 ton oil burner offerings), I don't think they'll ever come close to outselling gas 1/2 tons - at least not in this country.

Personally, I would have liked to see them use the Cummins 5.0 V8 with it's available 560 lb/ft of torque, but I understand the decision to go with a 28-30 highway MPG powerplant over a 22-25 one. Not to mention FIAT owns the 3.0 engine. If I was in charge - you'd see a 1500 ED with the 3.0 AND a 1500 HD with the 5.0 and a true niche truck right between a 1500 and 2500, LOL...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 10-23-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:13 AM
Tunaman
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. In my mind the ED was made for one reason. To tow with relative ease and deliver amazing fuel mileage. I have a hemi and love the thing (2012), great power and fuel mileage....until you start towing, like all gas engines towing it thinks I'm wealthy.
Was recently involved in a major accident, truck will be down several weeks I'm sure. Thought about going new, but from what I see I'd have to be constantly towing for the mileage to offset the price. I mean in my mind the price is ridiculous!! Wonder why it isn't selling. Asked a dealer about it he said "sure if you want to pay the price"! As far as it lasting twice as long 3-4 yrs seems about all I can stand any vehicle. LOL

Old 10-24-2014, 09:33 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tunaman
As far as it lasting twice as long 3-4 yrs seems about all I can stand any vehicle. LOL

That's the big reason I went diesel. I hadn't had one since the late '90s when I was piling miles on every weekend trailering a bass boat all over a good bit of the southeast fishing tournaments.

I don't need a diesel by any means, but as I've grown older I've gone from owning trucks 2-3 years to 10+ years. I plan on owning my current 2500 CTD for at least the same 10 years I had my Hemi but 15 years wouldn't be out of the question.

Even though I don't need the diesel, I can justify the extra cost if I can disburse it over 10-15 years.

As far as the price goes, that's the reason I'm driving a 2500 now. As I've stated before, I originally went to buy an ED, but NOBODY would take anything off sticker on one. When I was looking at a CTD that stickered for $11k more for just $3500 more out of pocket, the 2500 was a no brainer for me...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 10-24-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:28 PM
biggcrisp
Rookie

The eco-diesel could be my next purchase…I want one…therefore I will NOT go for a test drive.

At least not anytime soon lol.

Last edited by biggcrisp; 10-24-2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: word
Old 10-29-2014, 08:50 AM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally agree. The new diesel motor is going to take away from the 2500 buying demographic that seriously tows on a regular basis but that is a limited market. The problem on sales is that the towing performance isn't that different so the better MPG is the only plus. The problem is diesel prices are higher than gas and the sound of a diesel is very polarizing. The economical advantage is even further offset buy the initial additional cost. There is small demographic of guys that buy diesel trucks to play ""Mr big rig" but they are usually younger kids that buy second hand because of cost. Outside the commercial companies that buy the 3/4 and 1ton, the residential and farm truck demographic that would buy the 1500 diesel truck is small.
If your buying your truck as a primary tow rig, then the diesel is the way to go. Coming from a 2500 Ram, the sacrifices in ride quality is very noticeable over the smooth riding 1500. Even off road, the 2500 axel hop with stiff suspension is brutal. Having 4 Ram 1500 over the last 20 years, I bought a new boat so I went with a 2500 for my last truck since I tow a 5000lbs bass boat during the summer months. That was a (huge) mistake because living with the 2500 rough stiff ride every day grew old quickly. There is nothing a 2500 can do that a properly equipped 1500 can do with all my needs like carrying a Polaris X2 in the bed or pulling a boat. This is where the ram 1500 diesel comes in for the guy that tows every day. It will satisfy the recreational/commercial towing niche while staying in the much more 1500 luxurious truck.
My new Ram 1500 Laramie loaded up with every conceivable option and 3.92's feels like a Bentley on and off the road compared to my 06 Ram 2500. No axle hop, faster, quieter and still capable of towing twice my needs.
The take away is: dont test drive a new one if you dont want to buy one.
It made my 06 nicely equipped 2500 QC feel like a 20 year old outdated farm truck. The technology advancements in 8 years is unbelievable.

Last edited by Mystro; 10-30-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:49 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

5000 lb. BASS BOAT??? What the hell do you own? Have they gotten that big now?

When I retired from tournament bass fishing in '04 my last rig was a 20' Javelin with a fuel injected 175 HP - not the largest out there but by no means small and I was at 2700 lbs. That was boat, motor, trailer, gear and a full 44 gallon tank!!!

Old 10-30-2014, 01:02 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its actually a 24' Fish/Ski with all the goodies. Loaded up with extra fuel, its up there in weight. I factored it as 5000 lbs to be on the worst case scenario for towing.

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
5000 lb. BASS BOAT??? What the hell do you own? Have they gotten that big now?

When I retired from tournament bass fishing in '04 my last rig was a 20' Javelin with a fuel injected 175 HP - not the largest out there but by no means small and I was at 2700 lbs. That was boat, motor, trailer, gear and a full 44 gallon tank!!!

Last edited by Mystro; 10-30-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:05 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

They're quiet, that's for sure.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:50 AM
Electrickone

Well here is my ten cents..... I have test drove a loaded out 59K sticker, 4x4 and it had air ride, and it was like floating on air. I have a 2013 F250 6.7, so I know power, and I owned a Ecoboost the year before that. The ED did have lag, but the harder you nail the gas pedal, it will move. Some one here said the EB would not keep up with a 5.9, and its not a race engine, but the EB does run like a scalded rabbit, and if you nail the ED it will move fast enough that your not under the impression your in an out dated diesel.

What WORRIES me is, I have been looking for a new one, and have been watching for a month, and only one of the 15 I have been watching has sold (In New Orleans). Then today, I went on cars.com and autotrader, and searched 2014 Ram 1500 V6 "used" and I found 12 used ED'd with under 12K in mileage for sale, and that worries me. The locals here are taking around 7500 off 2014 ED's here, and that is with a 2800.00 rebate. But again, only one here had sold in the last 30 days.....

I have a mint 2013 F250 6.7 that is loaded out, with camper package and all the goodies on autotrader, so I can roll into an ED, so if you know someone wants a Cadillac of beast, tell them to pm me.

My concern is to spend all this money on an ED and there be a reason all these new ones are being traded in, or whatever......

Old 11-02-2014, 12:01 PM
biggcrisp
Rookie

Originally Posted by Electrickone
Well here is my ten cents..... I have test drove a loaded out 59K sticker, 4x4 and it had air ride, and it was like floating on air. I have a 2013 F250 6.7, so I know power, and I owned a Ecoboost the year before that. The ED did have lag, but the harder you nail the gas pedal, it will move. Some one here said the EB would not keep up with a 5.9, and its not a race engine, but the EB does run like a scalded rabbit, and if you nail the ED it will move fast enough that your not under the impression your in an out dated diesel.

What WORRIES me is, I have been looking for a new one, and have been watching for a month, and only one of the 15 I have been watching has sold (In New Orleans). Then today, I went on cars.com and autotrader, and searched 2014 Ram 1500 V6 "used" and I found 12 used ED'd with under 12K in mileage for sale, and that worries me. The locals here are taking around 7500 off 2014 ED's here, and that is with a 2800.00 rebate. But again, only one here had sold in the last 30 days.....

I have a mint 2013 F250 6.7 that is loaded out, with camper package and all the goodies on autotrader, so I can roll into an ED, so if you know someone wants a Cadillac of beast, tell them to pm me.

My concern is to spend all this money on an ED and there be a reason all these new ones are being traded in, or whatever......
A lot of guys trade every couple years.

I think I want an ED. You bet I would test drive one before pulling the trigger. If I liked it...buying used wouldn't concern me.

Quick Reply: Has anyone seen or test driven the new V6 diesel?