Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

Diesel ramcharger anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 04:19 AM
71GTX
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel ramcharger anyone??

I have a nice 92 black ramcharger w/ 360cu. I put some 2001 17" 4x4 wheels on it and it looks awesome. I have always wanted to know if anyone has taken the diesel out of an old d250 or 350 and put it in a ramcharger. I'm not sure I want to be the first, but it sounds like it could be a monster. ERic

Old 10-18-2004, 05:40 PM
Ramtuff
Veteran
Default RE: Diesel ramcharger anyone??

Don't worry, you won't be the first. I spend a lot of time over at RamchargerCentral.com, and a few members over there have done diesel swaps into their Ramchargers.

Old 10-24-2004, 11:10 PM
Ross

Check out http://www.offroadexchange.com/modfo...ex.php?board=3
A guy named Thierry (pronounced Terry) did a beautiful job installing a diesel. There is a lot of other help on this site. Check out the entire site. There are many pages. A lot of after market parts, available only on this site, to build a good offroad truck/Ramcharger.

Old 01-20-2005, 08:45 AM
MadSwapper

Its not as hard as you'd think, So far I've only done one, it was a simply a bolt-together deal. I used a non-intercooled, 12valve cummins out of a 90' D350, The only trick was I had the whole written-off truck for donor parts. When I swapped the cummins in, I pulled the entire front clip off my 86' Ramcharger, Stock motor mounts from the 90' bolted right in, I used the transmission crossmember from the 90' as well, I also had to change the rad support to the one from the 90' in order to use the correct rad. The inner fenderwells from the 90' saved drilling alot of holes to mount the air cleaner, etc. I also used the dash, and wiring harness from the 90'. The biggest problem was'nt mounting the engine and transmission, it was fixing the suspension to hold the wieght of the new engine, I ended up swapping the entire front suspension from a 1 ton into it, and swapping in a 3/4 ton rear end and springs. After all this work I still try to convince myself it was all worth it.

Old 02-27-2005, 10:07 PM
PearlStealthRT_TT
Professional

dodge started putting cummins engines in their trucks in 89 i believe?? but the good thing about that is that dodge used the same frame from the mid 60's all the way up the 93 model. So i say go for it...and you're right, it would be a beast. I would suggest a banks power pack though because the deisle engines are very heavy...and you're gonna need the extra power to pull the front end the truck around or else youre gonna nose dive into the mudd pits

Old 02-06-2008, 11:55 AM
smokethis

I actually have a diesel Ramcharger thatI built a couple of years ago. I used a 1993 250 Diesel and cut down the frame to fit the shorter wheel base of the Ramcharger. That fixes the weight issues that are mentioned above, plus then you dont have to remount the engine and tranny. I also used the front clip,dash and some other odds and endsof the diesel donor. It all fit together perfectly and looks great also. Ireally wouldnt worry about power to start off your project, the dieselRamcharger "gets with it". I found that the main problem iskeepingthose rear tires from just burning rubber, its quite a bit lighter than thediesel truck.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:23 AM
Mknabb1111

Saw a 92-93 rc with a cummins in it at the 07 mopar nats in ohio. It was a white 2wd. Conversion looked clean and almost factory.

Quick Reply: Diesel ramcharger anyone??