Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

swaping a 440 into a ramcharger.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 11:26 PM
87ramcharger440swap
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swaping a 440 into a ramcharger.

Hi everyone im new to the sight and im coming from a totally different world. I owned a 2002 subaru wrx up until about six months ago when i was forced to sell due to exsesive speeding and things of that nature. But over the past couple years ive worked on all sorts of cars and know how to perform most mechanical tasks. So now that the car is gone i decided i wanted to get into trucks so i bought a 1987 ramcharger and then shortly after bought another running ramcharger for parts for 200 from a friend. so i stripped that. Now my question is how easy is it to swap this motor. From wht ive found from my research it looks like i need to get the mounts from a truck with a 440 in it. and then it will be easy to find the mounting location on the frame. Wht i dont know is will my 727 3 speed auto bolt up to that 440 or am i going to need and get a different trans. And also does anyone know of a place that sell body panels and sheet metal for that year dodge and or a good place in general to find restoration parts for my truck. And yes i know there is alot involved in this project but ive worked at a local garage for 3 years and my boss is very generous with shop and lift time so that really helps. Oh and one more thing Does anyone know What axles will swap in here from a different year truck but i want say a dana 70 rear and dana 60 front rear. so if there are any trucks that have that and will swap into my truck thatd be great cause i can order axles from jasper and not have to worry about tracking down a used one.
Thanks for the help guys its really appreciated.
Pete

Old 07-10-2007, 09:52 AM
dodgeboy69
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: swaping a 440 into a ramcharger.

Dont know if this helps or not but up till 1978 when Chrysler killed the 440 engine you could order a Ramcharger with a 440 engine right from the factory.

The following users liked this post:
LilLost2 (03-26-2023)
Old 07-12-2007, 07:27 PM
blindside

i'm doing the same thing in my 84. i lucked out with the motor and the mounts and all. the only problem that i'm having is finding out what tranny i have in the one with the 440. if you have a small block motor in it now, which more than likely 360 or 318. you wont be able to use that tranny. you have to find one thats got a larger bellhousing for a 440. i'm trying to find a plate adapter of sorts to match up the 440 and the 727 i have in the truck now. hope it helps

Old 07-18-2007, 04:52 PM
rc_brooks

Restoration parts are hard to find. There are many that offer parts, but most of them use the same quality that you would find from JC Whitney. If you intend to drive it in the snow, just make sure you Por15 it. And if like me, you are off road a bit, you might consider Rhino (or scorpion) -Coating the lower portions of your ride. Used parts fortunately are pretty inexpensive. Now, you can drop a 440 in, but unless you are going to build it out, you would really do better building a 360 in a heck of a stroker. Better on gas and can be a real beast. Keep us updated, I am working on my power wagon as well, but it is a work horse, so objectives might be a bit different

Old 07-18-2007, 05:16 PM
blindside

yeah, i'm building it up. just bought a new cam and lifters, wanted roller lifters but didn't have the money on hand. and it came with the timing chain, ( double roller) for only 115.00 on ebay. waiting to rip heads off to see wha kind of pistons and rings to get. looking for a pretty aggressive crank for it to help with the power issue. as it was it had real strong power on it. when it was messing up before it took its little nap of almost two years, i pulled an f-350 super duty that was stuck in the mud to where the bottom was'nt visible. i was getting stuck and so i had no reverse at time, so went out of gear and rolled back for a foot or so and punched it and damn near ripped his front off. got it out though, dragged him for a bit and that was that.but also getting heads redone on it, just kind of concerned with the header space between the frame. on the powerwagon i have that had the 440 in it. they cut the frame around where the headers were around. so instead of it being about 4-5 inches the whole way through, there is a spot where its only an inch or so. still dont have any idea of what tranny i have though.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:42 AM
pullinpw
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok here goes for the 440 swap
engine: bouchillon performance has the complete installation kit complete w/ oil pan, mounts and all.
keep in mind that the 440 is way taller and wider and you will be very close on the brake booster you will need the small booster for the 440 to clear it, you can use the the big one but you cant get the valve cover off if you needed to

on the exhaust you will be very tight on header clearance i have found that the factory truck manifolds clear best though they are getting a little pricey you can find them on ebay

Cooling: I have put 440's into three power wagons and always find a three or four core radiator to use (it takes a little fab work) but never have had a problem with heating.
i've been told that a 360 truck radiator will work fine but i've never used one.

trans: find a big block 727 case, it doesnt matter year as long as you use a 71 or later and just take your small block trans to a local shop, and have them swap the internalsmust use the short tail shaft, into the big block housing and you are ready to go on the trans side.

Hope this helps

LilLost2 (03-26-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 04:08 PM
Carcano
Default Ramcharger

Originally Posted by 87ramcharger440swap
Hi everyone im new to the sight and im coming from a totally different world. I owned a 2002 subaru wrx up until about six months ago when i was forced to sell due to exsesive speeding and things of that nature. But over the past couple years ive worked on all sorts of cars and know how to perform most mechanical tasks. So now that the car is gone i decided i wanted to get into trucks so i bought a 1987 ramcharger and then shortly after bought another running ramcharger for parts for 200 from a friend. so i stripped that. Now my question is how easy is it to swap this motor. From wht ive found from my research it looks like i need to get the mounts from a truck with a 440 in it. and then it will be easy to find the mounting location on the frame. Wht i dont know is will my 727 3 speed auto bolt up to that 440 or am i going to need and get a different trans. And also does anyone know of a place that sell body panels and sheet metal for that year dodge and or a good place in general to find restoration parts for my truck. And yes i know there is alot involved in this project but ive worked at a local garage for 3 years and my boss is very generous with shop and lift time so that really helps. Oh and one more thing Does anyone know What axles will swap in here from a different year truck but i want say a dana 70 rear and dana 60 front rear. so if there are any trucks that have that and will swap into my truck thatd be great cause i can order axles from jasper and not have to worry about tracking down a used one.
Thanks for the help guys its really appreciated.
Pete
The 727 will fit the 440 but you will have to get a 440 guts for that transmission

Old 03-18-2023, 08:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcano
The 727 will fit the 440 but you will have to get a 440 guts for that transmission
16 year old thread??? Really? I should hope he dealt with this a LONG time ago. This thread is old enough to drive.......

LilLost2 (03-26-2023)
Old 03-19-2023, 09:46 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

LilLost2 (03-26-2023)
Old 03-19-2023, 10:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
Indeed..... I wish folks would check dates, and if the original poster has even been around lately before dredging up these old threads.

And.... If wishes were horses, no one would have to walk.

LilLost2 (03-26-2023)

Quick Reply: swaping a 440 into a ramcharger.