Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

Eliminating lean burn on 83 RC

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:53 PM
R_C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eliminating lean burn on 83 RC

I have an 83 Ramcharger 4WD with a 318, Carter BBD 2bbl and lean burn. After reading a lot of information in this forum I plan to eliminate the lean burn. Right now, here’s my plan: [ol][*]Install Mopar performance electronic ignition kit P3690426[*] Install new carb without lean burn and with ported vacuum[*]Replace all vacuum lines and tees[*]Eliminate the smog pump[/ol] What would be a good 2bbl replacement for the Carter BBD? Is it a good idea to replace the coil? Any other suggestions or things to consider while I’m tackling this project? Thanks.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:50 PM
ramitupurs84
Default RE: Eliminating lean burn on 83 RC

I would do the HEI conversion. whats wrong with a 4bbl? I think your on the right track.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:52 PM
R_C

The Mopar performance iginition looked a little easier than the HEI upgrade. Staying with a 2bbl appears to be cheaper than upgrading to a 4bbl and I'm just looking for stock performanc and fuel economy. Thanks for the reply

Old 07-02-2008, 09:25 PM
IGadget
Professional

When you do this it would be great if you could write it up. That way we can all learn something new. I have a holley 2280 2bbl carb stock on my 85 RC
I understand basicly how it works, but for the most part it is a magic box that sits on the intake as far as I can tell.

I have been putting off rebuilding mine, mainly because this is my only vehicle.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:42 PM
R_C

Here's a current progress report. I started searching these forums a few months back to get some ideas about the problems I was experiencing, namely, no power. My 83 RC only has 77K miles and good compression. I took apart the carburetor and found some silt in the bowl and the choke needed adjusting but these weren't the problems. The more I read the more I realized the whole lean burn system was the culprit.

I checked the timing and although it was o.k. at idle (14 btdc) there was abolutely no advance as I increased the rpms to 2000. The spark control computer (SCC) really was a problem.

So far, I've installed the Mopar performance electronic ignition kit (P3690426), which includes a new distributor with vacuum advance, orange ECU, ballast resistor, and wiring harness. It now starts quicker, doesn't stall during warmup and generally sounds much better. I haven't yet taken it out for a ride for the true test because I'm still waiting for the carb I ordered. I ordered a rebuilt Carter BBD without the electric feedback from National Carburetors. Their web site says 7 to 10 business days to ship but mine took a month. It arrived yesterday so I should get to install and test drive this weekend.

Quick Reply: Eliminating lean burn on 83 RC