Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

Speedo Bounces

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 04:43 PM
atceltic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo Bounces

I have a 1990 dodge Ramcharger and the speedometer started bouncing. Anyone have any ideas what could be the problem and how I can fix it?

Old 03-01-2010, 05:18 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

90% of the time it is a worn out speedo cable, very simple to change, cured mine

Old 03-01-2010, 08:23 PM
atceltic

my speedo is electronic and not a cable. Thx for the reply.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:00 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oops! sorry, didnt pay attention to the year, try posting in the first gen ram section, probably get more responces,

Old 03-05-2010, 09:24 AM
kellyfromva

Yes. Go to your local auto parts store and ask for speedometer cable lube. It's a gray graphite lube. Just disconnect the speedo cable at the speedometer and squirt a bunch down the cable housing. Problem solved!

Old 03-05-2010, 01:04 PM
kellyfromva

Hmm... I have a 1990 D150 Power Ram pickup and it has a speedometer cable. Granted I have a manual transmission, but it seems like the Ramcharger should be the same.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:06 PM
jahblah90
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this thread is an almost whopping 2 YEARS OLD!!!! but thought id revive it with a question instead of starting a new thread about the same thing thats in this one.

Just wanted to ask and make sure that squirting this stuff down my speedo cable will in fact work. Dont want to waste money on that stuff if it doesnt work. and does it have to be speedo cable lube? could i use mechanic grease??

Old 02-01-2012, 10:36 AM
kellyfromva

Originally Posted by jahblah90
I know this thread is an almost whopping 2 YEARS OLD!!!! but thought id revive it with a question instead of starting a new thread about the same thing thats in this one.

Just wanted to ask and make sure that squirting this stuff down my speedo cable will in fact work. Dont want to waste money on that stuff if it doesnt work. and does it have to be speedo cable lube? could i use mechanic grease??
Assuming you have a cable and mechanical speedometer rather than the electronic version with the speed sensor at the transmission, then the answer is yes, stop by your local auto parts store and pick up a bottle of speedometer cable lube.

What the lube consists of is a mixture of thin oil and graphite dry lubricant. Whatever you do, don't use grease, WD-40 or motor oil. Using anything other than the proper lube with graphite will make the problem worse, requiring a cable replacement.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:41 PM
jahblah90
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by kellyfromva
Assuming you have a cable and mechanical speedometer rather than the electronic version with the speed sensor at the transmission, then the answer is yes, stop by your local auto parts store and pick up a bottle of speedometer cable lube.

What the lube consists of is a mixture of thin oil and graphite dry lubricant. Whatever you do, don't use grease, WD-40 or motor oil. Using anything other than the proper lube with graphite will make the problem worse, requiring a cable replacement.
thank you for the clarity. now i know. speedometer cable lube it is.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:47 PM
1998dieselman

Just to add some more information: My Electric speedo started bouncing too so I put the RC on the lift and pulled speed sensor out, cleaned it all up with brake cleaner, and reinstalled it and the bounce is all gone!! I like free fixes lol

Quick Reply: Speedo Bounces