Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

91 Ramcharger Air Intake/Engine Control Unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 09:15 PM
sinryven
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Ramcharger Air Intake/Engine Control Unit

Hey everyone, first post, so be kind.

Two part question. At the end of the day, I want to change the air intake on my 91 Ramcharger 318. Nothing crazy, just to make it look pretty.

I noticed a tube running from the plastic air intake box that's on the driver's side fender to the engine control unit. I've reviewed the shop manual, and I can't find a reference to this at all.

If I change the intake, obviously I'm not going to keep the factory setup, so this tube will disappear. Only thing I can think of is that it's used to cool the unit itself. If that's the case, what's the likelihood that I'll have it overheat?

Second part of the question is related to the air pressure sensor that's inside the factory air cleaner. What kind of issues am I going to run into if I put an aftermarket cleaner on there without one? The manual says doom and gloom.

Thanks!

Old 09-15-2013, 07:40 PM
gHEMImorePower
All Star

That tube is your intake, it goes to a scoop which takes the air to your filter, basically it's a cold air intake but since its stock we don't call it that lol. You're engine will not over heat (still possible don't get me wrong) just because you ditched the intake tube. My old 78 firebird had the big round filter with chrome housing sitting on top of the carb and it wasn't connected to any tube. It did however have hood scoops that tool air straight towards the filter, kinda like a ram air hood. Look into a setup like that.

Last edited by gHEMImorePower; 09-15-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:18 AM
gHEMImorePower
All Star

Forgot to add, overheating is RARELY due to your intake btw, it's normally a radiator issue.

Quick Reply: 91 Ramcharger Air Intake/Engine Control Unit