Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

88 ramcharger no fuel

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 07:31 AM
Derekeh83
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 ramcharger no fuel

I have an 88 ramcharger 318 with the throttle body that is not getting any fuel to the throttle body. It has sat for about 3 months since it last ran. I do not hear the fuel pump kick on at all anymore. It is getting spark though. Ive thought it could be the ASD relay, but I cant find a new one to replace it with. The closest I found was a fuel pump relay from advance auto parts, but the clip on the connector is different. I still managed to get it to plug in but it didnt help. Where can I get the correct ASD relay at? Or where else should I look for the problem? Im thinking of checking the wires to the pump to see if it has anything right after the key is on. It does show 1/8 tank of fuel and that should be correct. I work out of town but ill be home this weekend. Wanting to have a list of things to check and hopefully get it going this weekend.
Once this fuel issue is fixed, I plan on pulling the engine, regasketting everything, new radiator, fuel lines, brake lines, and do a little frame and underbody repair. Hoping to have it on the road as my daily driver within 2 - 3 months as my daily driver but still work in progress

Old 02-28-2020, 10:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,210 Likes on 2,961 Posts

If you are getting spark, the ASD relay is working. Need to see if you are getting power to the fuel pump. Keep in mind, it only gets power for about 3 seconds at Key On, or, if the PCM sees the engine turning.

Old 03-01-2020, 06:58 AM
Derekeh83

I was able to lower the tank and it does get 12V to the pump harness for a few seconds as you said. So im guessing I need a new fuel pump at this point. What is a good brand to get and any idea where i can get it from? Also should I replace anything else while I have the tank dropped?
I was also fortunate enough to have the filler neck break off of my tank while I was lowering it :/ Hoping that I can repair this.

Old 03-01-2020, 08:38 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

Looks like it was welded to the tank, It can be repaired but you need to make sure all the gas and fumes are out if it before doing so. Replace the fuel filter, Should be mounted on the frame. Look on rockauto and see whats available. Some of the pumps are discontinued and hard to come by.

Old 03-01-2020, 04:13 PM
Derekeh83

Its all plastic there unless you are meaning plastic welded?

Old 03-05-2020, 08:38 PM
Derekeh83

I installed a new fuel pump and still nothing. The fuel pump does not kick in. Other than a break or disconnect between the fuel pump housing wiring harness and the fuel pump itself, is there anything else that could be causing this?

Old 03-06-2020, 06:05 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Derekeh83
I installed a new fuel pump and still nothing. The fuel pump does not kick in. Other than a break or disconnect between the fuel pump housing wiring harness and the fuel pump itself, is there anything else that could be causing this?

Check the fuse. If that's good, swap the fuel pump relay with a known good one. I usua;;y use the a/c relay since I'm not above sweating a little.If it works then, swap them back and put a new one in the relay slot.

Old 03-06-2020, 06:41 AM
Derekeh83

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Check the fuse. If that's good, swap the fuel pump relay with a known good one. I usua;;y use the a/c relay since I'm not above sweating a little.If it works then, swap them back and put a new one in the relay slot.
I am getting 12V back to the plug for the fuel pump for a few seconds when the key is turned on. That would eliminate the fuse and fuel pump relays being bad wouldnt it?

Old 03-06-2020, 09:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,210 Likes on 2,961 Posts

Check the ground for the fuel pump circuit then.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:49 AM
Derekeh83

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Check the ground for the fuel pump circuit then.
Good idea. Ill try to get on that today.

Quick Reply: 88 ramcharger no fuel