Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

1974 Dodge D300

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 03:56 PM
mtthwvn73
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1974 Dodge D300

Ok, I'm new to dodge (usually a Ford guy) but i'm thinking about buying a 1974 dodge D300 off my uncle. It has a 360 with an auto tranny, full time 4wd and some kind of "snow" switch on the side. I was wanting to know what kind of axles this thing should have, what kind of transmission, and what does that "snow" switch does? This truck has 70K original miles, and almost no rust and runs good. He wants $400 for it, is this a good deal? I've never owned a dodge, but i've owned 3 different 73-79 fords. Is this a good buy for a first time dodge buyer? Any advise or info will be appreciated.

Old 04-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Batphreak
Veteran
Default RE: 1974 Dodge D300

Sounds like you're looking at a "Snow Commander" they came from the factory witha plow setup and full-time 4wd. They're pretty tough trucks, the 360 is definitely a darn good engine $400 sounds like a darn fine price to me. If you're used to older trucks there isn't much different that can/will go wrong with Dodges.

Old 04-05-2006, 06:48 PM
mtthwvn73

Do you happen to know what kind of tranny and axles should be under this truck? what does the switch do? it's my cousin's and has been sitting for a little while, so i haven't had the chance to mess with it much...all i know is that he said it runs great and loves gas! I've never really been interested in dodge, most people say they're junk (especially in FTE), but i think i'll be happy with a 1 ton truck, i'm planning on putting a little bigger tires on it, and finding a wrecked newer dodge that has the 5.9 in it and taking the heads and all the EFI stuff off and putting it on this 360. Has anyone done this before? Is there a big hosepower potential for the 360? or should i put in something like a 440 or 383?

Old 04-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Batphreak
Veteran

The tranny should be the 727 torqueflite, not sure on the axles, likely they're Dana 60s at least, but I'm not entirley sure, there should be some tags on the diff covers. I don't know what the switch does, if you search on Google for "Snow Commander" there is some info out there, you should be able to find someone that owns a similar year that will know more. I haven't heard of anyone putting new heads and such on an old 360, the block should be the same so I don't see why it can't be done. There's all kinds of potential from the 360, my favorite is the stroker kits available, just do a search for a 408 stroker 360. The 360 has the largest main bearings of the Chrysler small blocks, so it is the preferred bottom end when building a Mopar small block. A 440 or 383 can definitely put out more, but they weigh a lot more too, it's the same old big block vs. small block debate.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:27 PM
steved
Rookie

If it is fulltime 4wd, then it isn't a true 74...fulltime 4wd was intro'd in 75...a true 74 w300 would have a D70F/D60HD combo...if it is fulltime 4wd, then it is most likely a D60F/D60HD combo (which is stronger). I had three 1974 trucks...none were fulltime setups.

My question is does the front axle have a ring of bolts/stud on the hub (not the wheel studs) like the rear or does it simply have one big nut in the center of the hub??

The tranny should be a 727 and the tcase a NP203 if it is fulltime 4wd. The axles will have "60" or "70" cast into the webbing on the housing or if you are lucky enough, you can find the BOM number on the passenger side tube (stamped in)...

steved

Old 08-17-2012, 09:44 AM
keilkravec
Veteran

If it's in that good of condition i would jump on that in a heartbeat! As far as adding all the injection goodies, you will have more of a headache then it's worth. It will still eat gas since it is a large heavy truck with a pretty good size engine. The heads you can swap with little to no headache, but i suggest staying carburated in a truck that old. less to fool with and not as complicated. And that "Snow" switch is for a hydrualic(i think) Snow Plow. My dakota had the option for a plow with the same type of switch. So it is definitly a Northern Truck wich suprises me for having almost no rust like you say.

Quick Reply: 1974 Dodge D300