Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

Which carb is best?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 01:10 AM
ShortBedHemi
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which carb is best?

I have a 1987 RamCharger with a 360 V8. The carburator looks stock, but at full throttle the back 2 barrels wont open. Whats the best thing to do, work on this carb, or replace it with a holley, also, which gets the best gas mileage?

Old 06-10-2006, 06:04 AM
Chump
Captain
Default RE: Which carb is best?

ORIGINAL: ShortBedHemi

I have a 1987 RamCharger with a 360 V8. The carburator looks stock, but at full throttle the back 2 barrels wont open. Whats the best thing to do, work on this carb, or replace it with a holley, also, which gets the best gas mileage?
Well, none of the carbs will get you better gas mileage of any significant amout, gotta realize we Dodge fans are driving bricks! My stock 1977 440 gets 11MPG with a tail wind. You should have a Rochester Quadrajet on the 360. They are good carbs but have some things that need particular attention. The float goes bad and the well plugs under fuel bowl leak. The problem with the secondaries may be dirt..have you sprayed down the carb with some cleaner? There is also a mechanical lockout that will keep the secondary air valve closed. Sounds like a good rebuild is in order. Have it done by a local pro or send it away to have it rebuilt.
Edelbrock is a popular choice for a replacement carb but then you have to fiddle with the linkage and other junk. I like to stay stock.

Old 07-14-2006, 07:09 AM
BATTLEMATE

My favorite car for Dodges happens to be the old thermoquad. One of the best carbs, in my opion! Had one off a police package, and put it on a 360 Cid.

Old 10-01-2006, 03:36 PM
lv2rydryd2lv

In all of my building motors and getting carbs that would adjust the way i needed them too, my choice is definitly the Rochester Quadrajet.

Tons of people dont like them because there are so many adjustment you can make on them that they never get them right. I have mastered the Quadrajet and with a 360 was pulling 18 mpg out of it. But anytime you set those back butterflies in the open position, Know where the closest gas station is.

I choose the Quadrajet over all others!

[sm=gears.gif]

Quick Reply: Which carb is best?