1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

STEERING WHEELS for a 1974 W100...What years fit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 09:16 AM
mike93108
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STEERING WHEELS for a 1974 W100...What years fit?

Hi
I'm new and have a customized 1974 W100 pickup. I love the truck but the guy that I bought it from put a tiny steering wheel on it. It's a bit ridiculous given that everything else on this rig is oversized.

I want to change it and would like a full-sized steering wheel but I have had some difficulty finding an exact replacement. In all honesty, I don't really care if it is a 1974. Actually I'd rather have an older one.

My question is, What steering wheels will mount to a 1974 steering column? I'd imagine that there are a number of years that are interchangeable. I'd appreciate your kind advice.

Here's a pic of my rig.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I don't have an answer for you, but, wanted to say, that's a NICE rig there. Let me guess, no such thing as winter where you live.

Welcome to DF!

Old 12-07-2017, 11:51 AM
mike93108

Thanks Hey You
Here"s the bed "extender"

Old 12-07-2017, 11:54 AM
mike93108

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I don't have an answer for you, but, wanted to say, that's a NICE rig there. Let me guess, no such thing as winter where you live.

Welcome to DF!
I do have the regular doors as well but then again...the heater is broken :-(
I need help with that as well. The PO bypassed the heater core because it was leaking and also the blower isn't working....so it's not a "winter" truck. Right now my heating system is a beanie and gloves.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Someone spent some time, and thought, building that. Wonder why they skimped on other stuff??? (heater core....)

Likely need to replace the heater core. Which means the dash probably needs to come out to get to it. Time-consuming, but doable. (and expensive to pay someone else to do it.....)

For the blower motor, see if you are getting power to the motor.... might be a fuse, might be a bad resistor block, or motor, or bad switch.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:00 AM
newtjr
Amateur
Default steering wheelny

Any Dodge steering wheel from 1982 to 1989 should fit. You can try car-part.com for u sed parts. Some will show pictures. However you might try aftermarket parts for a more "sporty" look. newtjr

Old 12-08-2017, 09:42 AM
mike93108

Originally Posted by newtjr
Any Dodge steering wheel from 1982 to 1989 should fit. You can try car-part.com for u sed parts. Some will show pictures. However you might try aftermarket parts for a more "sporty" look. newtjr
Thanks, I'm actually looking for how far "back" the steering wheels will fit. This is a 1974. When did they start using this mounting style and size?

Old 12-08-2017, 09:51 AM
mike93108

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Someone spent some time, and thought, building that. Wonder why they skimped on other stuff??? (heater core....)

Likely need to replace the heater core. Which means the dash probably needs to come out to get to it. Time-consuming, but doable. (and expensive to pay someone else to do it.....)

For the blower motor, see if you are getting power to the motor.... might be a fuse, might be a bad resistor block, or motor, or bad switch.
The guy that did the work was a welder. It's basically a welder rig. He wasn't finished with it so I don't think that he was trying to "skimp". He wanted a heater too but when he got it, it was bypassed and the fan didn't work. Being that we are in California, a heater is nice to have but you'll live without it. :-) But it's nice to have.

I think that the idea of tearing the whole dash apart to access the heater core and then the blower fan and switches was lower on the priority list. Since this pic, the stock doors have been put back on for "the winter" and a hoist/crane has been added to the driver's side.

When I got it, the transmission was dead. So I had it rebuilt, and off I went. In the first week, I put more than 1000 miles on it and did some desert off roading. Ran great in all conditions. I'm pretty stoked.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:48 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

I second the aftermarket wheels. The only good steering wheels that Chrysler made was the tuff wheel(below) and the rim blow. Might want to look at the grant steering wheel web site, They will tell you what adapter will fit what years. I think the spline was the same but some have a indexing mark.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:33 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

nice truck. i think the oldest you you might be able to go is 72. anything older and you might need to start making your own custom mount or adapters to make it work which is not impossible but can be a bit time consuming to do just getting everything perfectly centered. as far as replacing the heater core goes it should really not be that hard. you can usually just loosen the bottom of the dash, unbolt it and slide it out. should only be a couple hour job.

Quick Reply: STEERING WHEELS for a 1974 W100...What years fit?