3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 Ram 2500 with 200,000 miles...should I buy or RUN?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 02:40 PM
GirlsGoneGyno.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Ram 2500 with 200,000 miles...should I buy or RUN?!?!

Hey guys, I have been searching and lurking around here for the past few months as I researched my Dodge purchase. I tow a large 5,000 to 7,000 lbs trailer with a Ford Expedition right now, and get nine miles to the gallon. I'm told the Dodge Ram 2500 diesel can deliver at least 14. Its a V-Nose 20 ft trailer.

Well I found the truck I'm interested in, but it had 194,000 miles. Heres the info:
Year: 2004 Make: Dodge Model: Ram 2500 Trim: 4dr Quad Cab 160.5 Engine: 6-Cylinder
5.9 CUMMINS Trans: Manual

With the high mileage, any ideas as to what I should expect? Common high mileage issues? Is it even worth buying with just short of 200,000? Or does the fact that its made it this far say something?

Anyway, I'm just not sure about it and want to see what people who drive similar trucks thinks. Yes, I have searched and read a lot of things on here, so to anyone that says search, I DID! Alot of info was over a year old, so I want current opinions on this truck, its longevity, and any known issues @ 200,000+ miles! Thank you VERY much!

Happy Easter!

Doctor Tampa

Old 04-08-2012, 03:10 PM
freestyledude
Captain

Get a mechanical inspection done on it and find out what kind of shape it's in. That's not crazy high mileage for a diesel anyway, I'd look into it.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:11 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That kind of mileage on a diesel is not out of line. It will need a thorough inspection to reduce any "gotchas".

Old 04-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Harleybikerfl

Like most said in this thread , an inspection is definitly in order . The two major things that come to mind on this truck is the front end suspension and the clutch . Both are wear items and no telling if they have been replaced or what not . As for the engine I have heard nothing but good things about the Cummins engine very reliable and almost bulletproof .

Old 04-09-2012, 02:56 AM
freestyledude
Captain

One thing you'll want to price out is injectors, on the 24V cummins motors if an injector goes out you can melt a piston (Usually most common with stacked chips on stock injectors)
Diesels sure are nice for pulling power, but for the cost of startup/maintenance I don't see a big $$ savings unless the truck is 90% used for towing.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:26 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just check the tranny and motor and anything else that you would check for normally on a used car that needs general or even special maintenance. That 24V 5.9 is the god of engines though so consider yourself lucky you found one and how much are they asking?

Old 04-09-2012, 11:26 AM
bleachcola
Rookie

i would not worry about the miles, just get all the maintenance records and dealer record printouts, and a carfax.

i really wanted to get my ram with cummins, but everything i found was $10k more then my hemi, and with almost double the miles. cummins rams hold their value very well, kinda like wranglers. i already have 1 diesel and the maintenance and costs etc etc are a PITA.

so unless you have to tow 20k+ lbs every week, don't be so set on a diesel, a v8 gas will be fine for your trailer.

if i sold my ford and ram, my next truck would be a cummins ram for sure though, very strong, easiest to work on, can make more power than my powerstroke with a efficient 6cyl.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:04 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Front drive line and suspension issues are rampet on thease trucks, check front u joints, ball joints,tie rods, right now I'm not to found of dodge.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

definitely the front end suspension parts/alignment, have the hubs checked, or see if they had been replaced by now--most likely they have. The clutches are fairly bullet proof, but I would lay odds with that mileage, its time for a disk and pressure plate.
If they can't provide a full maintenance history, a bumper to bumper inspection would be in order, especially if you want to pull a lot of weight. You might consider upping to a 1 ton. If you're running stock tires---265 e rated, look for a gear set of no smaller than 373's, but 392's would be better. On the tranny, 1st gear is synchroed, but it is definitely "granny" and not for normal use. 5th gear is 1-1, and 6th is overdrive.

When you test drive the truck, make sure you take it out long enough to get it fully warmed up, listen closely to the power steering pump, if you hear any growling while turning lock to lock, the fluid needs to be changed at the very least. Also look for any tell tale signs of leaking.
Turn everything on in the truck and make sure it works, also get a ecm scan to make sure there are no codes present--they don't always illuminate the MIL light right away.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:38 PM
JSE414

The only issue is the front end suspension and steering. All problems being the ball joints. I have a 4.7 with 216,000 and runs as strong as ever. As ball joints wear out, upgrade to ones with open grease fittings. That Cummings is just getting broke in. Check injectors but that's is common maintenance on any diesel. Powerstroke can't hold a candle to the cummins. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 2004 Ram 2500 with 200,000 miles...should I buy or RUN?!?!