3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Collapsed Lifter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 07:50 PM
FireFighter
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collapsed Lifter?

Hey all,

275K miles on the beast. About a month ago, heard a lifter tap when first starting motor, went away after about 15-30 seconds or so, has done that on numerous occasions over the past few years on average maybe every 50 starts or when it was getting time to change oil. When it started a month ago, it seemed about every 5 starts, then again, went away.

Two weeks ago, it came back, the lifter tap continued while driving, idling, etc. This lasted 1 week. Then, it went away, quiet as ever for...you guessed it...1 week. Came back and it's been about 7 days and continues.

So, I am confused to what's going on here. Oil pressure is good, I removed plug wires one by one yesterday and the tap continues, so a spun bearing should be out of the question.(as though I have read)

I've always run 5W-30. The oil change place put 5-20 in it last time, in which I found out when I just did my last oil change a week ago.

It did do this for awhile when I changed out my springs and push rods about 4 years ago, I believe it was that long ago, have to look back at the infamous thread on here.

About to try the seafoam deal...grasping on to that last bit of hope that it's a simple sticky lifter.

Any ideas is greatly appreciated as always.

Sounds just like this guys:

Last edited by FireFighter; 09-08-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:58 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

You have a bad lifter that is failing to pump up and take up the valve lash. I would doubt that a mechanic in a can will help, but it's worth a shot. all it can do is not work.
If it is a dirt/sludge issue, it could loosen up more junk and clog the oil pump pickup. Replacing 1qt of oil with a qt of auto transmission fluid can also help clean things. It has a lot of detergent in it. Use Type F or Dextron.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:23 PM
FireFighter
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lxman1
You have a bad lifter that is failing to pump up and take up the valve lash. I would doubt that a mechanic in a can will help, but it's worth a shot. all it can do is not work.
If it is a dirt/sludge issue, it could loosen up more junk and clog the oil pump pickup. Replacing 1qt of oil with a qt of auto transmission fluid can also help clean things. It has a lot of detergent in it. Use Type F or Dextron.
Hey man, thanks for a reply. Yeah, I really didn't think a mech in a can would work and I've been leaning 99% towards a collapsed lifter. I put a little more than 200 miles with the seafoam in it to no avail....BUT, I had to try it right?

So in the end, I have decided to buy a new 2015 Big Horn 4x4 Crew Cab. Just finalized the deal over the net/phone, pick her up tomorrow morning.

The current '03 whom I love so much...I guess I will replace the lifter which is major surgery and I don't look forward to doing it then sell it privately throw the cash down on a re-fi on the new one....or keep it..haven't decided.

Quick Reply: Collapsed Lifter?