2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel injectors 5.9v8

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 06:02 PM
cjantczak
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel injectors 5.9v8

So curious who has swapped different injectors into their 5.9. I have 3 sets of the ford yellow tops which are 19lbs with 4 holes. I already put a set in the 5.2 which runs smoother and seems to have better throttle response along with better gas mileage. My question is will the yellow tops be enough for the 5.9? I know the 19 lbs/hour is a rating at 43.5 psi from the pump and the stocks are 23.2 lbs/hour I believe at 49 psi from the pump that dodge runs. I've read that they're good for the 5.2 but haven't been able to find anything about them in the 5.9. And I have searched and searched and searched. Any help is appreciated.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:12 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

The 5.2 and 5.9 use the same stock injector.
Stock = Siemens 53030778 (EV1) 21.9lb/hr@43.5 PSI (23.2@49psi) 12ohm
I used Bosch #0280155784 4 port (EV6) 22.3lb/hr@43.5psi (23.7@49psi) 12.5ohm
They're fine in my 5.2, and should be fine for a stock or mildly modded 5.9.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:24 PM
cjantczak
Professional

Yeah that's what I noticed is that the 5.2 and 5.9 both had the gray tops. My 5.9 is stock with the exception of the cps, iat and tps mods and the shorty headers I put on. I was thinking of putting the yellow tops in and running them, there easy enough to change. I just didn't want the engine to run lean but from what I understand is that the injectors that are in now make it run a little rich, which isn't a huge deal, guess its better than being to lean. Thanks for the input.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:32 PM
dodgefan99
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cjantczak
Yeah that's what I noticed is that the 5.2 and 5.9 both had the gray tops. My 5.9 is stock with the exception of the cps, iat and tps mods and the shorty headers I put on. I was thinking of putting the yellow tops in and running them, there easy enough to change. I just didn't want the engine to run lean but from what I understand is that the injectors that are in now make it run a little rich, which isn't a huge deal, guess its better than being to lean. Thanks for the input.
I'd go with the injectors that Spillage recommended. I bought a set of 8 on eBay for $88, flow matched, 4 port but with the same injector specs as the stock single. I haven't installed them yet, I'll have them on in about a week. If you were willing to wait I could tell you how they perform on the stock intake. From just looking at them though for $88 and also having a lifetime warranty they were worth it.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:35 PM
Khris1994
Veteran
Default Fuel injectors 5.9v8

I would like to know as I'm about to do a plenum repair and some upgrades and the injectors have a little age to them

Old 08-16-2015, 02:13 AM
cjantczak
Professional

Originally Posted by dodgefan99
I'd go with the injectors that Spillage recommended. I bought a set of 8 on eBay for $88, flow matched, 4 port but with the same injector specs as the stock single. I haven't installed them yet, I'll have them on in about a week. If you were willing to wait I could tell you how they perform on the stock intake. From just looking at them though for $88 and also having a lifetime warranty they were worth it.
I would love to know how they perform i put the yellow tops in for now sense i have them, there easy enough to change so if i find something better i can always swap em out again haha.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:51 AM
dodgefan99
Professional

Originally Posted by Khris1994
I would like to know as I'm about to do a plenum repair and some upgrades and the injectors have a little age to them
Same here. Doing the Hughes kit, intake mod, timing chain, all new coolant parts, some new hoses here and there, gaskets, O2 sensors, oil pump, rear seal, injectors, oil change and some more that I can't think of what they're called.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:01 AM
dodgefan99
Professional

Originally Posted by cjantczak
I would love to know how they perform i put the yellow tops in for now sense i have them, there easy enough to change so if i find something better i can always swap em out again haha.
Might end up being a little more than a week, hahaha. Idk, its in the tranny shop getting a Mega Viper put in it right now, the guy is being slow as *** but he is the absolute best around so I'm gonna wait on him. It'll only take me a few days after work to get all of my engine mods done I just have no idea when he will be done and I'll get it back, lol

Old 08-16-2015, 08:21 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I can't comment on the the injectors exact contribution to performance change, as I fitted them at the same time as the FI-Airgap and Holley 52mm TB.
But I certain saw improvement in smoothness of idle and power.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:17 AM
cjantczak
Professional

Ive of course done the plenum on both my 5.2 and 5.9. both had lots of crankcase vacuum which is not good. the 5.9 used a quart of oil almost every 1000 miles while the 5.2 didnt really burn much which i was surprised. Spillage, with my junkyard yellow tops i noticed some improvements but power wise? I couldnt feel it with the butt dyno haha, im sure it helped power some seeing as the fuel will be more completely burned but to see what kind of increase for hp and torque of course itd have to be run on the dyno and wish i knew someone around me with one! Lol

Quick Reply: Fuel injectors 5.9v8