3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Finally installed lift

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 05:50 PM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally installed lift

I got the Rough Country 4" lift installed, and let me say, get the Zone lift if you can. The instructions are crap as has been well noted in the past. I actually used the Zone instructions much of the time because they are identical in design. Before you give me the "Should have gone with the BDS or Skyjacker yada yada yada' it took a lot convincing the wife to let me spend the 1200 on this kit, let alone the 2k plus for the others. Its doesn't go together as good as Id hope but I made it work.

Bad Stuff
Didn't come with all the needed bolts, nuts, and washers and had some extras that werent used
Couldn't get the stinger bars to reach the brackets, had to use some washers to close the gap(in sixth pic)
skid plate wouldn't line up correctly
Did not come with passenger side brake line bracket
Came with 7 packs of nuts bolts and such but only tells you where to install 3 of those bags, you just gotta figure out what fits best the rest of the way

Good Stuff
Cheap! LOL
Vastly improved ride quality after having just cranked torsion bars
Completely just bolted on, no mods needed
No need to reroute exhaust crossover pipe to clear front drive shaft, just needed to bang it out to make it fit, only needed 1/4" to clear it

My recommendations when installing this lift, or any other lift, if you have high mileage, I'm at 196k,
Change all ball joints
if any wobble present, change cvs and intermediate shafts
if doing gears yourself, do it while the diff is unbolted, seems obvious but not for my buddy who did his lift then gears the next day, LOL!
replace hub assemblies, assuming you have factory assemblies still
replace rotors and brakes
Borrow a buddys air compressor and impact if you don't have one. It will save you a lot of time, I bought those immediately after I installed this kit after my wife saw how hard some bolts were.(Ill put the compressor and impact gun in the win column for me, LOL!)

I recommend all this simply because you will have the entire front apart, and going back in to replace something later is a pain in the A!
It wasn't very hard or technical, just time consuming. I did it solo over 2 1/2 days in my driveway with simple tools.

Before this I only had the body lift and cranked bars, but with the kit on and bars set to same setting, its rides much smoother. That doesn't make sense to me cause I thought it would have the same spring tension, so idk about that.
In case you were wondering, my tires and a Chinese tire called Multerrains MT. You can also find them on ebay as Comforser MT. Before you give me crap about Chinese tires, I got all four for $100 new. That's because I'm running them as an experiment for my buddies who pitched in to get them. I ordered them for $800. They ride quiet and smooth. Handles good in the rain also. They are 35x12.50x18's. Also, they are directional if that matters.

Attached Thumbnails Finally installed lift-img_4281.jpg   Finally installed lift-img_4283.jpg   Finally installed lift-img_4286.jpg   Finally installed lift-img_4288.jpg   Finally installed lift-img_4292.jpg  

Finally installed lift-img_4295.jpg   Finally installed lift-img_4296.jpg   Finally installed lift-image1.jpg  
Old 04-30-2017, 06:09 PM
44dakota
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good info, the truck looks bad @ss...also i dont blame you for going with the cheaper lift, i would have done the same thing,