Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

coolant leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 09:43 PM
Wayne Powers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant leak?

A couple of weeks ago the wife's 2009 journey 3.5 v6 had a spot under it as the front passengers side, but it rained and the spot was gone. Just in case I put a cardboard box , flattened out , under the front, in the garage..3 weeks and nothing then this afternoon I saw it and pulled out the white cardboard, the colour was clearish and a tiny bit oilish. I tasted my finger and at first it was acidic, then the taste of antifreeze came through. As I looked at the coolant reservoir I saw it was the colour of the spot but it was well within the high and low lines on the side. The cap on the reservoir looked like a metal rad pressure cap, is that the right cap? And that acidic taste could that be an additive.BTW don't start on me about knowing the taste of antifreeze, after 70 years I've tasted gas and just about every other auto liquid , sometimes when you're on your back under a car , whatever spills or leak gets you in the mouth.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:22 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Heater core probably.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:18 AM
Wayne Powers
Default still there

When they replaced the oil pan, the mechanic said they noticed coolant dripping , they couldn't tell where it was from , because the cowling under the front of the vehicle was catching it and it would flow to the passengers side where there was a lip that was the low point. Now about mid may ( just before the leak appeared) the car had gone in to the dealership for the steering hose recall. There shouldn't be any way that, the guys would have had to touch the radiator when changing the power steering lines ,is ther?

Old 07-30-2017, 08:39 PM
Richard Tambaoan

I had the same problem with my 09 Dodge journey. I put a pressure on the radiator hose connected to the reservoir(diy) and found out the leaked came from the thermostat housing. I drained the coolant, then i took off the thermostat housing and resealed it using the copper sealant maker. Leaked was gone for months now.