2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Shudder & Squeely Grind From Rear Diff ..

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 05:26 AM
OH4DAKOTA4X
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Shudder & Squeely Grind From Rear Diff ..

Upon acceleration turning right, my 04 4x4 is binding up somewhere in the rear end. It shudders a moment, so I immediately let of the gas, coast thru the turn, accel gently. No shudder but, faint squeely, gurgly noise.
Any man I have asked, "are you sure it's coming from the back" Then suggest ball joints, tie rod ends .. I have them take it for a drive, and "I didn't hear anything"
Well today, it was bad enough that I was afraid to make any right turns.
Reading in my Haynes book, and in online forums, I figured I'd p/u some 75w 90 and L S additive, pop the cover and check for shavings, ... YUCK ! Gear oil sticks !! My cat hissed at me !
Anyway, (heavy sigh) I finally got the cover off, oil out, cleaning 3 different colors of RTV beads off with a blade. Wiped everything clean. As I'm cleaning the cover, I find 3 or 4 long vertical gouges on the inside ... Does this mean my axle is moving sideways ? Is this a bushing ? I'm so bummed. I've been searching all over the internet trying to find suggestions, answers, instruction, cost .. I'm a single woman who's getting too old to bust knuckles wrenching anymore. And I can't afford $1,500. to R&R my freaking axles !
I love my truck but, .. shoot, Why is EvErYthing SO eXpensive AND has to hurt TOO !?!
Putting the spring, rod, little plastic stopper things in my new console/center seat rest lid darn near took one of my fingers !
I miss the 70's .. seriously.
blah blah blah ... i know
help
04 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 V8 12 bolt diff
Thanks for reading
I appreciate any input

Last edited by OH4DAKOTA4X; 07-27-2017 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Specifics
Old 07-27-2017, 07:56 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Did you happen to check if the fluid was up to the fill hole before you drained it. If the fluid was low, that would mean accelerated wear.