1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

73 w200 full restoration

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 02:12 PM
tschuh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 73 w200 full restoration

I have recently bought this 1973 W200 power wagon and am planning a full restoration. Large lift with 40" + tires. Haven't quite decided how huge I want to go yet. It has a 318 right now that I've managed to get running but am planning on rebuilding a 440 to swap in.
My question is, where do I even start?
In my mind I would think get it running, get breaks working as well as steering so I can move it in and out of the shop to work on it. I am somewhat at that point.
I wouldn't think body is a huge deal for now as it's in fairly good shape, a few rust holes here and there but nothing crazy.
interior will probably be saved for last I think, it's not in terrible shape.
Is frame a huge deal? Is it crucial to remove surface rust and coat it?
Sorry for the huge post, just something I've never done before.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:29 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

If you are wanting that big of a lift and tires, suspension, and drivetrain is the place to start. Rear end and transmission will need to be beefed up along with just about every suspension component. The frame would need detailed inspection for rust through, hairline cracks, etc. Body work, interior work, most likely electrical work (wiring, connections, bulb connectors, etc.)

That's going to be a huge project and expensive to do it right. Be sure to start a build thread and keep it updated as you go along.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

Doesn't that have a D60 under it? Not sure how well that will stand up to a 440..... especially with a manual trans. 440 won't bolt the the trans thats in it either. So, find yourself an engine and trans..... maybe a 203, or 205 transfer case?

Old 09-19-2017, 08:02 PM
tschuh

Not sure on the trans yet but it's auto 4x4. Chances are that I will be beefing that up as well.
I think I'm going to be replacing pretty much everything haha.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:04 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

How are you going to be using it or is it going to be more of a weekender truck? One thing i would do is remove the gas tank from the cab and mount one under the bed!

Old 09-19-2017, 09:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
How are you going to be using it or is it going to be more of a weekender truck? One thing i would do is remove the gas tank from the cab and mount one under the bed!
And I think that was actually an option on the 73's as well.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:51 PM
tschuh

My plan is to remove the gas tank from the cab and plum in a slip tank mounted in the box.
And yeah I'll just be driving it around town, maybe take it off road every now and then.