3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 10:33 AM
jacmates
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 4.7 liter Quad Cab with 185,000 miles. I was wondering if it is time to change the transmission fluid. I have heard several stories. My truck runs great with not issues from my transmission but this is the last truck I plan to purchase. So, if I need to change the fluid, what is the best method that includes the torque convertor. Thanks.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

With that many miles on it, do NOT have the transmission flushed. Pretty much guarantees failure within a couple weeks...... Doing just a fluid and filter change isn't a bad plan.....

Is that a 'maintenance free' trans, with lifetime fluid? (should say in the owners manual.)

Old 12-08-2017, 10:39 AM
jacmates
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will check. Thanks

Old 12-11-2017, 03:12 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jesus, is that the original fluid??

Old 12-27-2017, 12:26 PM
Kevno6
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New fluid alone could cause problems if you change it like a detergent and will flush **** out of where you don't want it to. If there is no problems and fluid looks good and not burnt leave it alone. If there were issues then no harm.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:57 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Changing the fluid in the pan will not hurt it, but trying do a trans flush will.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:44 PM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

1). If you think it needs to be done ... then it absolutely does. I change mine at 40 to 80,000 km intervals, depending on how much towing or how hot and hard I've been on it during those km's.

2). Please disregard any comments telling you not to do it because if it is old because it will fail the transmission. Absolute hogwash! Terrible, terrible advice. A proper filter and oil change will not fail the transmission. It will restore performance and reliability. If it quits after a service, it is because the transmission was already failed. In which case you have done yourself a favour and found out about it before you are out on a long road trip with family in the freezing cold weather, totally dependent on the truck, and get seriously inconvenienced by a surprise failure.

3). There is no such thing as a "lifetime" fluid. All that means is they expect you to get rid of the vehicle long before it fails. If you don't and you still have it when it fails, then the vehicle has reached the end of its "lifetime", whereby the lifetime fluid is then no longer required. If you are keeping and running older higher mileage vehicles, be in tune with the vehicle and stay on top of the ongoing maintenance, especially changing the fluids on a regular basis. Even though some of the fluids usage are very long life, such as ATF, there is no such thing as lifetime. Period. Change the fluids when they should be. Change the coolant every 4 years and the ATF at 40-80K.

4). For a simple straight forward, clean, safe, and thorough way to change out all the transmission oil including the torque convertor and cooler, consider having a look at my short write up in post #6 at this link. http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...d.php?t=450050 Your ram will have the same transmission, 545RFE, and the process will be exactly the same. The Dakota was done in that thread post. My Ram is getting done exactly the same day after tomorrow.

Be a responsible owner. Take care of your vehicle so it can take care of you. Hope that helps! Good luck.

Last edited by FaceDeAce; 12-30-2017 at 09:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission