2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leaking oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 02:50 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Leaking oil

My truck has been using 2 quarts of oil between every oil change. I thought it was the plenum and was hoping it fixed itself. Turns out it wasn't the plenum it's the crank seal. Since I have to remove the timing cover in going to put in a new chain and double rollers. Anything else I should do while I'm in there?

Old 12-19-2017, 03:24 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Your excess oil burn could come from leaky valve covers and the oil is burning off the head and exhaust manifold . This will not allow the oil to reach the ground where it is noticeable.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:05 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Torxhead
Your excess oil burn could come from leaky valve covers and the oil is burning off the head and exhaust manifold . This will not allow the oil to reach the ground where it is noticeable.
I know where it's leaking it's the crank seal I can see it drip

Old 12-19-2017, 07:25 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I copied this from a different thread. It should give you some ideas.

If you need the plenum changed, the problem was the bolts were to long. You need shorter bolts or the Hughes kit which uses a thicker aluminum plate instead of the stock steel plate. I'd try the O2 sensor first, it's a lot cheaper and should get changed anyway. I believe sometimes the coolant temp sensor fails and causes problems also. I can't remember if it sets a code or not. Hey You would maybe remember.

With the age/ mileage of your truck, if you need the plenum fixed and have the money, I would consider......
1) A new dist cap, rotor, plugs, and maybe wires. It's very easy to change with the intake removed.
2) Replace the crank sensor, IAC, and coolant temp sensors, they are common problems on our trucks and yours are probably original.
3)I bought a complete Fel-pro gasket set when I did mine. The oil pan gasket tore so I used almost all of them except the head gaskets.
4) Water pump and thermostat. They'll be off already to change the timing set. A Gates water pump comes with the metal pipe for the heater hose. There's a bypass hose that should be replaced also.
5) Double roller timing set. At 147k yours is stretched. It made a big difference in how my truck ran. Your almost to it when fixing the plenum gasket.
6) A block heater if you live in a cold climate and don't keep the truck in a garage.
7) CAT, only if it's plugged with oil from the leaking plenum gasket.
8) Check idler pulleys and belt tensioner for smooth operation.

The list isn't in any particular order. Use Mopar sensors or I like Standard Motor Products, the sensors from the parts stores seem to cause as many problems as they fix. NGK or Autolite regular copper spark plugs. PCV valve is a Mopar only thing, the after market ones have the wrong flow rate IIRC. I have no idea what you can afford, but this would have your truck running well for a long time. Hopefully others will comment with their thoughts. Start with a good diagnosis of the problem first though. Check out Rock Auto for some prices.

Last edited by 2bit; 12-19-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:33 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by 2bit
I copied this from a different thread. It should give you some ideas.

If you need the plenum changed, the problem was the bolts were to long. You need shorter bolts or the Hughes kit which uses a thicker aluminum plate instead of the stock steel plate. I'd try the O2 sensor first, it's a lot cheaper and should get changed anyway. I believe sometimes the coolant temp sensor fails and causes problems also. I can't remember if it sets a code or not. Hey You would maybe remember.

With the age/ mileage of your truck, if you need the plenum fixed and have the money, I would consider......
1) A new dist cap, rotor, plugs, and maybe wires. It's very easy to change with the intake removed.
2) Replace the crank sensor, IAC, and coolant temp sensors, they are common problems on our trucks and yours are probably original.
3)I bought a complete Fel-pro gasket set when I did mine. The oil pan gasket tore so I used almost all of them except the head gaskets.
4) Water pump and thermostat. They'll be off already to change the timing set. A Gates water pump comes with the metal pipe for the heater hose. There's a bypass hose that should be replaced also.
5) Double roller timing set. At 147k yours is stretched. It made a big difference in how my truck ran. Your almost to it when fixing the plenum gasket.
6) A block heater if you live in a cold climate and don't keep the truck in a garage.
7) CAT, only if it's plugged with oil from the leaking plenum gasket.
8) Check idler pulleys and belt tensioner for smooth operation.

The list isn't in any particular order. Use Mopar sensors or I like Standard Motor Products, the sensors from the parts stores seem to cause as many problems as they fix. NGK or Autolite regular copper spark plugs. PCV valve is a Mopar only thing, the after market ones have the wrong flow rate IIRC. I have no idea what you can afford, but this would have your truck running well for a long time. Hopefully others will comment with their thoughts. Start with a good diagnosis of the problem first though. Check out Rock Auto for some prices.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

New water pump, if yours is old. Aside from that, just the timing set, and some good gaskets. Don't get the set with the 'repair sleeve', I have never had any real success with those. If the balancer is scored where the seal rides on it, to the point you don't think it will seal well, replace it.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:23 PM
2bit
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Thanks, but it's not the plenum. It's the crank seal
Except # 1 and 7 the rest are still things to consider. With everything you'll be removing from the engine to get at the timing cover, you should consider changing the plenum gasket if it hasn't been done. Electric fans are nice also.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:33 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by 2bit
Except # 1 and 7 the rest are still things to consider. With everything you'll be removing from the engine to get at the timing cover, you should consider changing the plenum gasket if it hasn't been done. Electric fans are nice also.
I have a completely new intake to put on it. I don't like electric fans not reliable in my instances. This is all temporary until I finishing building the hemi to put in it.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:45 PM
2bit
Record Breaker

It's been awhile since I changed mine. You might be able to change the seal without taking the cover off. I'm not fond of aftermarket E fans, but factory ones work well in my opinion. I got a dual fan set up from an LS1 camaro in my truck. I can't wait to see the thread on the hemi install. I hope it goes well.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:55 PM
2bit
Record Breaker

You can probably do it without removing the cover.

Quick Reply: Leaking oil