2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46re whining noise and slipping

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 08:45 PM
Parkerc01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46re whining noise and slipping

Hello, i just bought a 2001 dodge ram 1500 5.2l automatic 2wd. I bought it from my step mom knowing i needed to replaced the sensor and solenoid in the pan. After replacing those two sensors as well as the speed sensor at the back of the trans and the filter and fluid it ran great. The transmission shifted smooth and i had no issues. 3 days later i got in and started it up and noticed this strange sound almost like a knocking inside the trans along with a whining noise but it still ran just fine. Now, only a day later, on my way home from work the sound increased and the trans started to slip going forward and in reverse. Could this be my torque converter? It is my daily driver and need to figure out this issue as soon as possible, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Check the fluid level, and see what it looks like. Have to check it in neutral. Park will give an artificially high reading.

I suspect though, that your trans is on its way out......

Old 03-21-2018, 09:10 PM
Parkerc01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Check the fluid level, and see what it looks like. Have to check it in neutral. Park will give an artificially high reading.

I suspect though, that your trans is on its way out......
Checked the fluid in neutral and its right at the full line and is still clean. Its just weird because before the sensors went bad there were no issues, replaced the sensors and it ran fine and now this

Old 03-21-2018, 09:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Unplug the trans, (8 pin connector, drivers side, 'bout halfway back.) Drive it like that a bit. It won't have ANY automatic functions, and you won't have O/D, or TCC either, (but, you will get a check engine lite......) You will have to manually shift, up and down. If it does what you tell it to, when you tell it to, without any of the bad behavior, you just have an electronics problem. If it still slips, and does odd and strange things, time for a rebuild.

Did you adjust the bands while you were in there?

Quick Reply: 46re whining noise and slipping