2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Loss of power after low oil shut down.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 09:53 PM
Jon Johnston
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of power after low oil shut down.

Need an answer quick before truck gets towed.

I was on freeway. Truck shut down because of low oil.
I Got it off the freeway. Bought 3 qt of oil. Added it in. Then truck started and ran fine for a bit. Drove threw the town. Went to get onto the freeway. No power. Checked the tranny fluid. Added a few Oz's of ATF +4.
That's when it really starts acting up.

It runs but I almost have to have it floored to keep it running and it would hardly move. Like 10mph
I can't figure out why it would be doing this. Truck is stuck in another town 90 miles away.
Has anyone had a issue like this happen to them?
The check engine light was flashing. I unplugged the ECU.
Then plugged it back in. The check engine light stayed off. But still doing the same having to floor it to keep it running.
As if it's not getting the fuel that it needs. Is it fuel pump related? Fuel pressure issues? I know that it got very hot when it shut down. But was cooled off when I put the oil in.
I really need to get it home. Would like to fix and drive home rather then have to rent a flatbed.
I have two extra ECU along with other extra parts.
First thing I was going to do was maybe drain the few oz of tranny fluid that I put in it. As that's what started the issues.
If anyone has a simple fix plz say so

​​​​​​

Old 05-11-2024, 11:23 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts
Since you got a check engine light, you should have some trouble codes in the PCM. Use an OBD2 scan tool and see what stored and pending codes the PCM is seeing to help you troubleshoot the issue. Please let us know what codes the scanner says are in your PCM.

Old 05-12-2024, 08:11 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

What year truck? Did you happen to check if the crank moves freely? If you spun a bearing it could be putting a load on the motor.

Old 05-28-2024, 05:28 PM
Jon Johnston
Rookie

97 ram 1500. I changed out the PCM.
Tryed starting it. Still wouldn't start. Read the codes. Then realized that it read the codes on the PCM that I put in it.
Because the code was for a leak detection pump. That 97 don't have. Tryed a third PCM. Still no start. I mean it does start but the peddle has to be all the way to the floor to stay running.
Going to change out the crank sensor and see if that makes a difference. Going to pull out some other sensors that I have. Change some of those out and change them.
I changed the plenum gasket and used a aluminum plate.
But haven't looked down into the intake yet to see if there may be oil in there.

Old 05-28-2024, 08:54 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

When you changed the PCMs, was the new PCM the same part number as the original PCM? Personally, I'd re-install the original PCM and scan it to see what codes it's seeing.

Old 05-29-2024, 06:27 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

I mean it does start but the peddle has to be all the way to the floor to stay running.
Did you check fuel pressure with a gauge? What is the code #'s you are getting?

Old 05-30-2024, 03:19 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Flashing cel, multiple cyld misfires.
Start with basics, comp test and spark test. And yes pull the codes.

Old 07-05-2024, 09:02 PM
Jon Johnston
Rookie

I plugged in the original PCM. No codes on it. I changed out the crank sensor. Still no changes. Still won't start.
I am usually good at figuring out the issue when ever my truck won't start. My next plan of attack is to pull the spark plugs and let the cylinders dry out. My friend said it smelled like gas and he thought it was flooded.
I have lots of extra parts as I have the 1500. And like 3 Dakota two being V8 .
Going to change out the coil and pull the valve body. Clean it up and check the sensors on it. If none of that works. Then I will check the distributor position at top dead center. Make sure the firing order is correct.
Still can't figure out what changed to cause this no start.
It was low on oil. Let it cool down made it the 2 miles to the truck stop. Put three qts in. Truck started and was fine.
Drove as it should. Untill I went to get on the freeway. Lack of power couldn't drive over 25 mph. Then got off the freeway was waiting for my girl to show up. Ended up having a medical emergency. My girl said that the fire dept started my truck and drove it to a safe parking spot. Had no issues with it she said that it had pawer. So then when I went to pick it up it wouldn't start.

Old 07-06-2024, 09:16 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

It runs but I almost have to have it floored to keep it running and it would hardly move. Like 10mph
I can't figure out why it would be doing this. Truck is stuck in another town 90 miles away.
Has anyone had a issue like this happen to them?
Yes, And it was fuel pressure related. You need to do some testing rather that throwing parts at it.
As if it's not getting the fuel that it needs. Is it fuel pump related? Fuel pressure issues?
Test it and you will have your answer! It should be 49 psi at the first turn of the key.

Old 07-10-2024, 01:23 AM
Jon Johnston
Rookie

I listened for the fuel pump. It sounded strong. Checked all the spark plug wires to make sure they are right.
tested for spark. The MSD coil that I had on it was not putting out a good signal. Tested it with a timing light. It would skip flashes. So I put a different coil on it. Coil had a different plug then my truck. But the different plug was with the coil. Must of gotten it from the junk yard and just cut the plug wather then unplugging it. Stuck the two wires into the plug on the truck. Timing light wasn't missing. It basically stayed lit the whole time so I know the spark is good. I pulled all the spark plugs. Let it sit without them in for a few to make sure it's not flooded. Truck doesn't have a port on the fuel rail for a tester. Going to look threw my parts and see if I have a different fuel rail. If I do then I will put that fuel rail along with the set of injectors that came out of at R/T at the junk yard ( you can tell they are aftermarket).
I have not checked the timing yet. As it's hard to see the marks on the damper. So have to find TDC with a screwdriver down the spark plug hole. Then check the distributor to see if rotor lines up with number one.
I am usually good at finding out the issue with my trucks.
Have one 1500. 3 Dakota's. But have owned a few Dakota's over the years. Most of them V8's but this issue has left me dumbfounded. Just can't figure this one out.
I think I'm going to put some more gas in it and see maybe if my gas gauge is right. Maybe it stoped working and maybe just out of gas. But that's wishful thinking. But that's the only thing that I can think of that could be wrong with it.

Quick Reply: Loss of power after low oil shut down.