3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2009 Ram 3500 radio loses power

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2024, 08:47 PM
Ohiobenz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Ram 3500 radio loses power

The short version:
The radio will have power, then the next time I start it doesn't. There's no predictability, sometimes days, sometimes the next time I start.
I have taken the fuse box out, disassembled it, found no corrosion. Used my DMM and measured through the fuse output side to the terminal that connects to the blue connector under the fusebox and have good continuity.
Fuse has been replaced several times.
When the radio did not have power the output at the grey/red stripe wire in the blue connector read good voltage.
With key off, doors closed, pulling the radio fuse and reinstalling it something apparently resets and the radio has power when turning on the ignition.
I don't see where the FCM is or if it would control the radio power???
This schematic seems to be the correct one?
A pic of the FCM location and a verification that it does control the radio power would be appreciated.

Old 06-06-2024, 08:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Yep, FCM controls the relay that supplies operational power to the radio. The Grey/Red wire is for radio memory.

Pulling fuse 9 likely resets the FCM..... which I expect is part of the TIPM...... I doubt it is serviceable separately.... but, I've been wrong before.

Old 06-06-2024, 08:57 AM
Ohiobenz

Thx.
3 questions
Where is the FCM located?
Why does pulling the fuse (11) that powers the memory reset the power to the radio?
Where is the relay you mentioned located or is it solid state internal to the FCM?

Last edited by Ohiobenz; 06-06-2024 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-06-2024, 09:42 AM
Ohiobenz

It appears the FCM in my 2009 is built into the TIPM?

Old 06-06-2024, 10:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Yep. Not a surprise. Which makes fixing it, a matter of simply replacing the entire thing, which is NOT cheap. This is one of the reasons I drive older vehicles...... I am tempted to buy an old Volkswagen beetle, with ZERO computers.... just for reliability reasons.

Old 07-04-2024, 11:14 AM
Ohiobenz

I gave up.....
wired head unit to the key-on power from the driver side cigarette lighter socket, and the constant power from the passenger side socket.
Radio and cameras work now.
The headlight left on chime tells me when the old circuit doesn't work (again), no chime = reset fuse.
So now we'll see if the head unit power draw was the cause. Not ready to buy a new fusebox just yet.

Quick Reply: 2009 Ram 3500 radio loses power