2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

02 R/T gear selection indicator

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2024, 08:54 PM
Tom Martin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 R/T gear selection indicator

I have an 02 R/T whos transmission bit the dust. I found a used transmission for a good price, "supposedly" good. The trans is from an older vehicle, so it has a different gear selector indicator, the old style with three connectors. The trans I removed has the newer style indicator switch, with 5 wires. The switch from the removed trans will not screw into the replacement transmission The place it screws into is mint is much larger in the removed transmission, so there is no physical way to mount it. Anyone have any idea on how to rewire the truck for the 3 wire setup?

Old 06-11-2024, 06:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

Computer NEEDS correct input from that sensor to do its job. I *think* there was a conversion kit, but, I believe that was for three wire, to five wire..... which isn't what you need. Good chance for things to work properly, you will need a newer trans.

Old 06-11-2024, 11:38 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 167 Likes on 153 Posts

What Heyyou said. sonnax makes an adapter that slides into the newer case with a threaded bung for the 3-wie switch. But as you noted, the 5 wire cannot physically fit in the older case.

Old 06-17-2024, 02:07 PM
Tom Martin

Saga continues. The reason I swapped the trans is because it always seemed to want to pull forward in any gear. In reverse, it would sometimes move backwards but still felt like the forward gears were engaged. After installing the transmission in the truck is when I found the difference in the gear selector indicator mounted. I pulled the pan off of the just installed transmission, which I will name trans1, to change the filter. Of course while I had it off, I wanted to see the differences in the gear selector mechanisms. In doing that, I discovered a broken spring in the valve body of the removed transmission,(transmission). This spring would push up a piston in the cylinder right at base of the large electrical connector. The spring from trans1 is not broken. Piston is the same in both transmissions. There is one more difference in the two transmissions, which is the drive shaft seal. That might not make any difference but I don't know since I have not tried to install the drive shaft yet. My dilemma is, should I replace the broken spring and put the original trans back in, or leave the replacement in and try somewhile to make the gear selector indicator work. I know, a rebuilt transmission that came from a 2000 and up is the way to go, but my budget will not let me do that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-24-2024, 08:26 AM
Musky mike

As you have found out, for the 46RE, there is one for ~97-99 and 2000-2003. The shift connector, shift comb are different. Valve bodies are the same, if swap the shift comb.

Quick Reply: 02 R/T gear selection indicator