2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP! Truck dies while driving / won't start at times

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2024, 08:28 PM
Bo4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Truck dies while driving / won't start at times

First I would like to say hello! New to having account old to viewing the forums....

So I am needing help with my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 5.2L Extended Cab SLT. I have tried a trial and error of things and have no clue what it could be now. Keep in mind sometimes truck will start and run fine. Other times not...
Here is the problem:
1. While driving, truck will randomly die. Almost like someone hits an engine kill switch. Still will coast, have power, all gauges reading, etc. On occasion it will die and come back alive right away. Others times it won't. Sometimes I can even pop it into neutral and it will come back roaring like nothing happen.
2. Sometimes will not start, especially right after it dies.

Any and all help will be appreciated!

Recently replaced:
Battery & Battery Terminal Connectors
Spark Plugs & Spark Plug Wires
TPS
Ignition Coil
Thermostat & Thermostat Gasket
Blow Motor Relay, Starter Relay, & Trailer Relay switches.

Old 06-23-2024, 08:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

That's going to be either the crank sensor, or the PCM..... Something is getting hot, and failing. Next time it dies, or won't start, check for spark, and injector pulse. See what ya get.

Welcome to DF!

Old 06-23-2024, 09:18 PM
Bo4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That's going to be either the crank sensor, or the PCM..... Something is getting hot, and failing. Next time it dies, or won't start, check for spark, and injector pulse. See what ya get.

Welcome to DF!

I do know a few switches / relays get hot quick. So maybe PCM then?

Old 06-24-2024, 12:32 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts
If you have an OBD2 scanner (if you don't have one, they are cheap to obtain), connect it when the problem occurs to see if there is a stored or pending code that might provide a clue as to what exactly is going on. When my truck used to shutoff for no reason, I plugged in my scanner when it died and it provided a code that pointed to the crank sensor going bad. Replaced the crank sensor and all has been well.

Old 06-24-2024, 06:49 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Bo4
First I would like to say hello! New to having account old to viewing the forums....

So I am needing help with my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 5.2L Extended Cab SLT. I have tried a trial and error of things and have no clue what it could be now. Keep in mind sometimes truck will start and run fine. Other times not...
Here is the problem:
1. While driving, truck will randomly die. Almost like someone hits an engine kill switch. Still will coast, have power, all gauges reading, etc. On occasion it will die and come back alive right away. Others times it won't. Sometimes I can even pop it into neutral and it will come back roaring like nothing happen.
2. Sometimes will not start, especially right after it dies.

Any and all help will be appreciated!

Recently replaced:
Battery & Battery Terminal Connectors
Spark Plugs & Spark Plug Wires
TPS
Ignition Coil
Thermostat & Thermostat Gasket
Blow Motor Relay, Starter Relay, & Trailer Relay switches.

It does sound like a heat soak issue. Especially if it fails more often in hot weather. A few more details though. How many miles on the truck? When it dies, does it sputter any? The next time it dies, I'd see if shooting a little starting fluid or FLAMMABLE brake cleaner into the air intake makes any difference. I don't think it will but it will eliminate one possibility. Some brake cleaner is NON-flammable so look at the can.

Personally I would suspect the crank or cam position sensor. If one of these fails, you might not get a check engine light. The computer doesn't know it's supposed to be getting a signal. It's just not told to fire the ignition.

Old 06-24-2024, 08:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
It does sound like a heat soak issue. Especially if it fails more often in hot weather. A few more details though. How many miles on the truck? When it dies, does it sputter any? The next time it dies, I'd see if shooting a little starting fluid or FLAMMABLE brake cleaner into the air intake makes any difference. I don't think it will but it will eliminate one possibility. Some brake cleaner is NON-flammable so look at the can.

Personally I would suspect the crank or cam position sensor. If one of these fails, you might not get a check engine light. The computer doesn't know it's supposed to be getting a signal. It's just not told to fire the ignition.
Cam sensor will keep the engine from starting, but won't kill a running engine.

Quick Reply: HELP! Truck dies while driving / won't start at times