2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlight Nightmare..... Did i burn up my dimmer switch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2024, 11:37 PM
quadrunnerjake
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Nightmare..... Did i burn up my dimmer switch?

So basically i got myself a set of NHK projectors and retrofitted them into the autosaver 88 single piece headlights [non sport]. tested the plugs before i started building the harness. so after testing the pins i got : Low beam; pin1 12v pin 2 grnd, pin 3 inactive Hi beam; pin 1 ground, pin 2 inactive, pin 3 12v also noted that pin 1 is +12v even when headlights are off. So i built the harness and in the meantime something happened and now pin 3 is always hot. im over 12 hours into building the harness and this ****ery happens. im assuming a bad dimmer switch? the hi beam indicator still works which throws me off. pin 1 still acts normal switching from hot to ground when switching from lo to hi beam but pin 3 stays hot even with the truck off now. pin 1 is normally hot when truck is off but that should be the only pin hot when off.

My harness is wired like this; pin 1 goes to relay coil, pin 2 and 3 go to the other end of the relay coil. in theory when low beam is active pin 1 will give hot and pin 2 will give ground to activate coil, in hi beam pin 1 is ground and pin 3 provides 12v to coil. this allows the relay to activate during high and lo beam to keep the projector powered. the projector hi beam solenoid is wired to pin 1 and 3 directly and only activates during high beam. since pin 2 and 3 completely disconnect from circuit during lo and hi beam operation [no continuity] i decided not to use schottky diodes for reverse current protection. i do have them if i need them but i dont think so since there isnt continuity between the pins 2 and 3 when low or hi beam is active. the harness isnt plugged into anything now and i currently have no headlights so please help with any advice.
thanks in advance,
Jacob

Old 06-29-2024, 12:08 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

From the factory, the headlight switch pulls way too much current to have a long life. To alleviate this issue permanently, most folks setup relayed headlight harnesses to allow the headlights to pull current from the battery and use the headlight switch as a switching mechanism only. For more information, you can speak with these folks that provide a relayed headlight harness for 2nd gen trucks with sport headlights (4 bulb) - https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/hea...ion-relay-kit/

You can also check out this relayed headlight harness for non-sport headlights - https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...ories-lighting

Last edited by AtomicDog; 06-29-2024 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-29-2024, 01:54 AM
quadrunnerjake

im not sure you understood my question. WHY is my high beam pin 3 at the headlight socket staying hot constantly now? It should only become hot when the brights are applied. pin 1 still acts as it should and switches from hot to ground when brights applied. pin 3 is my problem pin and i believe it runs from the dimmer switch which is the stalk that controls your brights.

Old 06-29-2024, 01:57 AM
quadrunnerjake

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
From the factory, the headlight switch pulls way too much current to have a long life. To alleviate this issue permanently, most folks setup relayed headlight harnesses to allow the headlights to pull current from the battery and use the headlight switch as a switching mechanism only. For more information, you can speak with these folks that provide a relayed headlight harness for 2nd gen trucks with sport headlights (4 bulb) - https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/hea...ion-relay-kit/

You can also check out this relayed headlight harness for non-sport headlights - https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...ories-lighting
Also as i noted above i have the ability to build my own relayed harness with hq DT plugs and 12 gauge wire. im just lost on what could be causing the pin 3 issue of the stock 9004 plug

Old 06-29-2024, 03:06 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

What year is the truck ? There are significant differences between trucks with the round pull style headlight switch and the later "chicken head" three position switch. From your description I'm guessing it's a 99+ truck.

Old 06-29-2024, 06:45 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by quadrunnerjake
My harness is wired like this; pin 1 goes to relay coil, pin 2 and 3 go to the other end of the relay coil. in theory when low beam is active pin 1 will give hot and pin 2 will give ground to activate coil, in hi beam pin 1 is ground and pin 3 provides 12v to coil. this allows the relay to activate during high and lo beam to keep the projector powered. the projector hi beam solenoid is wired to pin 1 and 3 directly and only activates during high beam. since pin 2 and 3 completely disconnect from circuit during lo and hi beam operation [no continuity] i decided not to use schottky diodes for reverse current protection. i do have them if i need them but i dont think so since there isnt continuity between the pins 2 and 3 when low or hi beam is active. the harness isnt plugged into anything now and i currently have no headlights so please help with any advice.
thanks in advance,
Jacob
What kind of relay are you using? Normal Bosch-type, which has connectors marked 30, 85, 86, 87 (and possibly 87a)?

Old 06-29-2024, 11:09 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by quadrunnerjake
Also as i noted above i have the ability to build my own relayed harness with hq DT plugs and 12 gauge wire. im just lost on what could be causing the pin 3 issue of the stock 9004 plug
Sorry. Due to late night reading, I missed your inference of using a relay in your custom harness.

Old 06-29-2024, 11:49 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

What NHK projectors are you using? Keep in mind HID's don't have separate "bulbs" for high/low. They use one bulb and there is a shutter inside the housing that moves to provide the light pattern to raise up a bit. You need to use relays to provide power at low/high. Supply power to the relays from the battery and use the headlight switch for powering the relays(high/low). You will also need to wire up the shutter to the high relay so it will raise the beam pattern. Are these what you are using? Read the note:
Wiring: Please note that these units come with 4 bare wire leads. One power and ground for each of the low and high beam inputs. We offer pre-attached 9006 and 9005 inputs for easier hook up. Single filament applications can use a direct connection to factory low beam plug with a high beam splitter. Dual filament applications will require a MotoControl wiring harness to make this unit plug and play.

Old 06-29-2024, 05:45 PM
quadrunnerjake

it is a 2001 2500 CTD

Old 06-29-2024, 05:47 PM
quadrunnerjake

Originally Posted by HeikIlm
What kind of relay are you using? Normal Bosch-type, which has connectors marked 30, 85, 86, 87 (and possibly 87a)?
Yes standard double pole relay. 85 ans 86 are coil pins 30 and 87 are common and hot. please note the probelm is with the harness removed.

Quick Reply: Headlight Nightmare..... Did i burn up my dimmer switch?