2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1999 standard shift transfer case swap to auto tc

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2024, 04:08 PM
T-RUFFF
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 standard shift transfer case swap to auto tc

Hello, I have bought this Ram 1500 4x4 standard shift. Transfer case housing is cracked all over. I have not been able to locate a replacement, but it seems the transfer case for a automatic transmission is everywhere. Sellers are telling me I can use a auto transfer case in place of the standard shift transfer case. I don't know so I need a objective perspective on my situation. Any info you can share will be much appreciated , thanks (6-29-<2024)

Old 06-29-2024, 04:37 PM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker
Received 67 Likes on 66 Posts

The transfer case is the same between automatic and manual transmissions. The only difference is the input spline count. You would need and input shaft from a manual trans TC, possibly yours is still usable and can be used to practice the remove/install process.

I converted one awhile back, my memory isnt perfect but on the 231 I believe all thats involved is removing the retainer plate 5or 6 bolts? under where the tc mounts to the trans mission, and then possibly a snap ring or two. I did not have to split the transfer case

Old 06-29-2024, 05:53 PM
T-RUFFF
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks I will proceed with that info

Originally Posted by dodgetruck2
The transfer case is the same between automatic and manual transmissions. The only difference is the input spline count. You would need and input shaft from a manual trans TC, possibly yours is still usable and can be used to practice the remove/install process.

I converted one awhile back, my memory isnt perfect but on the 231 I believe all thats involved is removing the retainer plate 5or 6 bolts? under where the tc mounts to the trans mission, and then possibly a snap ring or two. I did not have to split the transfer case
I have been driving a4x4 yukon in 1st and 2nd gear with reverse for well over a year. I understand the sprag gear give out. Thanks again for taking the time to help

Quick Reply: 1999 standard shift transfer case swap to auto tc