2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help finding camshaft and lifter set for 8.0L V10

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2024, 11:36 AM
CMill99
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help finding camshaft and lifter set for 8.0L V10

I have a 99 Ram 2500 with a V10 that runs and drives but has loud lifter noise and I am told by a trusted shop that it needs a camshaft. I would rather replace it with one that is going to give it more power for towing but I am having trouble finding one. Does anyone know where I can get a camshaft/lifter set for it?

Old 07-13-2024, 03:48 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 342 Likes on 305 Posts

Moved to the correct section.

Old 07-13-2024, 04:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,286 Likes on 3,033 Posts

Crane Cams, Comp Cams, and a selection of others make cam/lifter kits for them. Summit, or Jegs are probably your best bet, I don't know if Hughes Engines does anything with the 8.0 or not....

That said, if you get lifter noise as the engine RPM increases, right before it shifts, but, not every time.... I almost think that is normal. Mine has done that since I bought it, back in 17.... hasn't gotten any better or worse either. Normal cruising the engine is quiet, just occasionally, it will delay a shift, and it rattles some.

Old 07-13-2024, 07:46 PM
CMill99

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Crane Cams, Comp Cams, and a selection of others make cam/lifter kits for them. Summit, or Jegs are probably your best bet, I don't know if Hughes Engines does anything with the 8.0 or not....

That said, if you get lifter noise as the engine RPM increases, right before it shifts, but, not every time.... I almost think that is normal. Mine has done that since I bought it, back in 17.... hasn't gotten any better or worse either. Normal cruising the engine is quiet, just occasionally, it will delay a shift, and it rattles some.
Have looked online at Jegs and Summit but can’t find anything for the V10 using their vehicle search filters, called Jegs and they don’t have any cams for it. It is definitely not normal before now it didn’t make any noise at all and now it is very loud and constant.

Old 07-13-2024, 09:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Jegs has a couple. Theoretically.... (more at bottom of page...) Whether they are in stock or not, is another question. Not much info on them though, not even cam specs..... Might be worth while to give 'em a call. Keep in mind, this is the CHEAPEST one of found, most are north of 700 bucks.... Ouchie....

Old 07-13-2024, 09:24 PM
CMill99

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Jegs has a couple. Theoretically.... (more at bottom of page...) Whether they are in stock or not, is another question. Not much info on them though, not even cam specs..... Might be worth while to give 'em a call. Keep in mind, this is the CHEAPEST one of found, most are north of 700 bucks.... Ouchie....
I clicked on the link and it says it’s for a magnum V8, but I’m not really sure what I am looking for when it comes to getting a camshaft for it, it’s been almost 20 years since I’ve actually worked as a mechanic. I know a camshaft is going to be fairly expensive, especially since I would rather replace it with something that will give it more power and I am not terribly worried about price since it’s my grandfathers pickup that he bought new, took me years to talk my uncle into selling it to me, it’s in almost mint shape inside and out and I only have about $3,200 into it so far. I bought thinking it needed a new engine but it ended up just having a missing pushrod and ran good for close to a year before now.

Old 07-13-2024, 10:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by CMill99
I clicked on the link and it says it’s for a magnum V8, but I’m not really sure what I am looking for when it comes to getting a camshaft for it, it’s been almost 20 years since I’ve actually worked as a mechanic. I know a camshaft is going to be fairly expensive, especially since I would rather replace it with something that will give it more power and I am not terribly worried about price since it’s my grandfathers pickup that he bought new, took me years to talk my uncle into selling it to me, it’s in almost mint shape inside and out and I only have about $3,200 into it so far. I bought thinking it needed a new engine but it ended up just having a missing pushrod and ran good for close to a year before now.
Ooops. quite correct. Wrong link.....

Here ya go, more at the bottom of the page. Why it shows TWO cams is beyond me.

The following users liked this post:
CMill99 (07-13-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 11:00 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 322 Likes on 304 Posts

You might also want to consider taking your existing cam (or a core from another V10 engine) and having it reground to incorporate a towing profile. There are several places that are good at regrinding camshafts. Here's one, for example - https://www.oregoncamshaft.com/

Old 07-13-2024, 11:26 PM
CMill99

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
You might also want to consider taking your existing cam (or a core from another V10 engine) and having it reground to incorporate a towing profile. There are several places that are good at regrinding camshafts. Here's one, for example - https://www.oregoncamshaft.com/
Thats a good idea, never thought of that and I will look into it Thank you

The following users liked this post:
AtomicDog (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:02 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 369 Likes on 347 Posts

I remember seeing a link somewhere for a place that had them. Might want to search some of the old posts. Remember there is the Viper V10 also so don't confuse the two.

Quick Reply: Need help finding camshaft and lifter set for 8.0L V10