1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

front shake

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM
sidsdodge92
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default front shake

fired up the ol girl yesterday took her for a spin. was clipping along about 35 (no speedo so this is guess) and the front end felt like i was about to lose a wheel ,it started shaking pre violently until i hit the brake pedal then it quit ,but started up again. front end is tight (well pretty tight) . Could the transmission make this happen as i did notice it started right around the time she shifted into the high gear.
One thing i tried was i floored her and just left my foot planted . she didnt shake at all when hauling butt, so i dont think its a balance problem.....
I seem to recall that these dodges would induce a shake from the trans when there was a problem with the high gear engaging ............
i had pulled the front wheels off to check things out and grease up while i was there. Only thing i found was a lil bit of movement from the upper ball joints not much but there was a bit. also i need brake pads real bad...
i did notice a clunk when i hit the brakes too.....assuming its the brake pads being bad............

Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM
u2slow
Professional
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

If this is a 4wd, sounds like "death wobble" - usually related to insufficient caster. Do you any recent alignment info?

Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 582 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by sidsdodge92
fired up the ol girl yesterday took her for a spin. was clipping along about 35 (no speedo so this is guess) and the front end felt like i was about to lose a wheel ,it started shaking pre violently until i hit the brake pedal then it quit ,but started up again. front end is tight (well pretty tight) . Could the transmission make this happen as i did notice it started right around the time she shifted into the high gear.
One thing i tried was i floored her and just left my foot planted . she didnt shake at all when hauling butt, so i dont think its a balance problem.....
I seem to recall that these dodges would induce a shake from the trans when there was a problem with the high gear engaging ............
i had pulled the front wheels off to check things out and grease up while i was there. Only thing i found was a lil bit of movement from the upper ball joints not much but there was a bit. also i need brake pads real bad...
i did notice a clunk when i hit the brakes too.....assuming its the brake pads being bad............

2 or 4 wheel drive? 1/2 ton or heavier? I'm assuming it's a '92 from your screen name.

Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM
sidsdodge92
Amateur

2 wheel drive 1/2 ton no aliment done just started tires wear normal it happens when she hits that last gear automatic 4 speed last gear is high gear......you know pust the button its high gear push it again its 3 speed......................................yes 92 dodge 150 318 automatic 2 wheel drive ............................

Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

2 wheel drive 1/2 ton no aliment done just started tires wear normal it happens when she hits that last gear automatic 4 speed last gear is high gear......you know pust the button its high gear push it again its 3 speed......................................yes 92 dodge 150 318 automatic 2 wheel drive ............................

Is the shake in the drive train or steering? It sounds like a problem with the torque converter lockup feature. Dpes the steering wheel shake any?

Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,286 Likes on 3,033 Posts

Either that, or a misfire on one or more cylinders. Those are felt MUCH more in O/D.

Old Today, 08:13 AM
sidsdodge92
Amateur

steering wheel does not shake(i dont think i have noticed that ) . heyyou i do believe there is some sorta miss fire and or injector that is not working as it should...(i have not really got into checking out the engine yet)
ill have to get it out on the road and really pay attention to the steering wheel next time..... i might just take it down to my transmission guy and let him rebuild it. he is very good a bit slow but good....
torque converter lock up (is that what that button does ) its in the dash ill have to take the dash off and dig it back out (it fell off in there )

Old Today, 09:38 AM
u2slow
Professional
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I can't figure how a powertrain issue would feel like the front end is coming apart on a 2wd; short of a separated engine mount and a high torque situation.

I think this needs a closer a look before tearing out a transmission.

Old Today, 12:47 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

steering wheel does not shake(i dont think i have noticed that ) . heyyou i do believe there is some sorta miss fire and or injector that is not working as it should...(i have not really got into checking out the engine yet)
ill have to get it out on the road and really pay attention to the steering wheel next time..... i might just take it down to my transmission guy and let him rebuild it. he is very good a bit slow but good....
torque converter lock up (is that what that button does ) its in the dash ill have to take the dash off and dig it back out (it fell off in there )

On transmission rebuilds, slow is good. However, I think the problem is more like HeyYou said and something is misfiring. I'd hold off on the transmission for a bit. Invest in a remote thermometer. Start your engine cold and use it to look at the exhaust manifolds. One spot being slower to warm up will indicate a misfiring cylinder. Much cheaper than $2000-4000 for a transmission rebuild.

Quick Reply: front shake