2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46re torque convertor and flexplate question

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM
Mbrown1968
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46re torque convertor and flexplate question

This is my first post!
I have a 97 dodge SST project truck. My issue is it came with a rebuilt trans in it, but had a vibration.
long story short is the flexplate had no weights on it...
The torque convertor bolt circle matches the original flex plate but is diffrent from the 5.9 flexplate that I purchased.
Do I need to change the torque convertor? Or can I open up one of the holes?
thanks for the help. MB

Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 322 Likes on 304 Posts

Does the torque converter have any weights on it? I believe that the stock style flexplate for a 5.9 engine came both with and without weights on it depending upon the year of the truck, as some have weights on the converter instead of the flexplate.

Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,286 Likes on 3,033 Posts

Yep. The 5.9 is externally balanced, prior to 96, the balance weights were on the torque converter, always struck me as passing strange..... For the 96 model year, the torque converter was neutral balance, and the weights moved to the flex plate. If you can get a part number off the torque converter, wouldn't hurt to look it up, and see what year truck it was designed for.

The bolt spacing also change, along with the location of the weights. With weights on the TC, it was important that it was properly indexed.... 96 and up, it didn't matter any more, so the bolts are equally spaced. It's possible that you got a flexplate on there for a 5.2 liter, and not the 5.9.....

Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM
Mbrown1968

Thanks for the replies. The torque convertor doesn't have any weights on the face of it. So I am assuming it is nuetral.
I'll pop it out and see what numbers are on it and post.

Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
Mbrown1968
Default Here are the numbers on torque convertor. Hard to read the numbers..maybe 1993?

Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

All I am coming up with is diesel converters.... which doesn't seem quite right..... Granted, the diesel IS a 5.9...... but, that's the only similarity between them.

Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM
Mbrown1968

That's not good. Here is a pic of the numbers on the side of the trans. Would tell the year?

Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Cant' read 'em that well, 'cause of the glare.... (and my vision ain't the best anyway.... )

But, if it bolts to the 5.9 gas, it is highly likely to be the correct trans.

If you like the stall speed of the tc you have, just get the right flexplate, with the weights, and stick it back together. So far as I know, the plate with the weights on it, *should* have equally spaced bolt holes for the tc...... as there is no reason for it to be indexed, since it doesn't play role in engine balance any more.

Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM
Mbrown1968

The holes are super close. On is off just a little , I know the older trans would would work with the 5.9 just had to open up a hole in the flex plate a little.

Quick Reply: 46re torque convertor and flexplate question