Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

46RE Transmission Whine

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM
e_filippo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46RE Transmission Whine

Hi all, I posted about a year ago regarding my '99 B3500 5.9 transmission not wanting to shift into 3rd or reverse after a fluid change and "parts cannon" application. Well, I return with an update. I replaced the transmission with a used unit from FB marketplace that was *supposedly* rebuilt not too long ago. Even has a sticker on the bell housing that says "Rebuilt in the USA!!" I'm not sure how much I believe it, but maybe I'm just jaded from past marketplace transactions. Regardless, I got the transmission in with a new torque converter, swapped over whatever sensors I needed to, flushed the trans cooler, and put fluid in it. Immediately after starting up, I got a strange whining noise. I'm concerned it's either the pump or torque converter. I prefilled the TC and quadruple checked my fluid level, went for a short test drive then topped off the fluid again, and the sound has not changed. It drives and shifts just fine, going through all gears no problem.
It sounds a lot louder on camera than it really is, but that's probably good for sharing purposes. As you can tell, it changes with engine speed. Any thoughts? Really don't want to pull this big SOB out again, but I'm guessing I'm out of luck.

Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,290 Likes on 3,037 Posts

Is the starter not disengaging from the flywheel???

Quick Reply: 46RE Transmission Whine