2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No EMCC/TCC Relay all this time

Search this Thread

Old Today, 04:51 PM
SugarShack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question No EMCC/TCC Relay all this time

1994 Ram Van B350 conversion w 46RH transmission, which for five years has been pretty dependable getting point a to b locally. But, multiple issues with electrical, most recently speedo and low voltage regulation codes, so am going through everything with diagrams, and finding strange things. One finding is that there is no relay in the EMCC/TCC. Adding one back caused the positive terminal to get very hot and the vehicle would start, but barely. I am going to go back to make sure that the type of relay I tried was actually the right one - because it's pretty difficult to determine I've learned, since I first tried.

What I am reading is that it may have been removed to "temporarily" fix a problem, or, it could be due to an intentional modification.

Going to go back to the diagrams to see if and how that it may tie into the other problems, but I'm more concerned about transmission damage and overheating.

Before you say "take it to a shop" it had a full pre-purchase inspection and has been into two transmission shops, numerous oil changes, and none of them saw the relay was missing. And, it's probably the most visible relay under the hood.

Please, any and all advice very welcome!

Old Today, 05:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,299 Likes on 3,045 Posts

EMCC/TCC??? TCC I suspect is torque converter clutch..... What's EMCC??

Old Today, 07:30 PM
SugarShack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From Mitchell on demand:

"The TCC solenoid may be referred to as the lock-up solenoid, lock/unlock solenoid or Electronic Modulated Converter Clutch (EMCC) solenoid."

They call the relay "EMCC relay" in the electronic component list, drawings, and wiring diagrams, but then refer to TCC when getting into the details of the system and testing.

For instance:
​​​​​​​https://www.kolhosniki.ru/mitchell&m...dimg=G93F49739

Old Today, 08:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,299 Likes on 3,045 Posts

Ok, I see how it's supposed to work, Pull the relay, pin 1 and 5 should show battery voltage with ignition on, Pin 3 should go to ground, (zero resistance to battery negative cable) Pin 4 goes to the solenoid, so, whatever resistance a solenoid has..... I *think* it should be north of 10 ohms... but, not sure on that.... Pin 2 goes back to the PCM, (this is the control side of the relay circuit.) Sitting still, ignition on, that circuit show show open, or infinite resistance to ground....

Test 'em out, see what ya get.

Quick Reply: No EMCC/TCC Relay all this time