3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ac ground issue

Search this Thread

Old Today, 10:07 AM
Dustin985
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ac ground issue

Hey guys, I think I'm having a ground issue with my relay and hoping someone can get me goin in a direction I need, so I'll try to explain my issue as best I can.

We put a new AC compressor on and a new pressure sensor. We did a vacuum on the lines and that was good. We put freon in to the levels required as well.
​​​​​​
Now comes the issue. The compressor clutch will not engage. We tested the plug goin to the compressor and we haven volts there,we tested the sensor plug and it's got volts there.

We pull the relay fuse and it all hose power but isn't getting ground. The guy at work put a jumper wire on the fuse relay, #85 prong and ran that to the negative post on my battery and the clutch engaged and blew cold air but it won't disengage. And it starts building up high pressure to where it discharges freon. And that wire has caused me to not have no control over the air itself inside the cab. It just blows cold the whole time. I turn the AC off..and the clutch still stays engaged I'm guessing cuz of the jumper wire possibly being on the wrong prong on the relay?

Or could someone possibly tell me why I wouldn't be getting ground to the relay itself for the relay to work the clutch like it should anyways?

Old Today, 11:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,302 Likes on 3,047 Posts

What are you driving?

If you jumper the ground pin of the compressor relay, yes, the compressor is going to run 100% of the time, which is BAD. You risk blowing the system apart with over-pressure.

Need to know what it is you drive to go further though. They way the systems worked changed a bit over time.

Old Today, 11:09 AM
Dustin985

It's a 2004 dodge ram 5.7 hemi.

Yea all i know is that he put a jump wire on the #85 prong which he said was the ground and that was it. So I took the jumper wire off for

Old Today, 11:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,302 Likes on 3,047 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustin985
It's a 2004 dodge ram 5.7 hemi.

Yea all i know is that he put a jump wire on the #85 prong which he said was the ground and that was it. So I took the jumper wire off for
Moving this to third gen ram section for ya.

You should be able to find wiring diagrams for your truck here, there also might be a service manual available for download around here somewhere, not sure on that.....

Old Today, 11:35 AM
Dustin985

Ok thanks

Quick Reply: Ac ground issue