4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Is it possible to install radio from a 2016 Ram 1500 in a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2024, 10:32 PM
97dodgeBalden
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to install radio from a 2016 Ram 1500 in a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500?

I'm doing a complete dash and frame upgrade in my 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 with a donor dash from a 2016. I looked up the wiring diagram and I noticed that it says can bus which is way over my head make me question is it even possible to make a compatible? I supply power to the b positive and the yellow ignition and ground to ground but it didn't power on. Should this have worked or am I going to have to get parts off of a spaceship in order for this to work in my 97? Below is a picture of the head unit that I'm using.

Last edited by 97dodgeBalden; 08-20-2024 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-21-2024, 08:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,335 Likes on 3,077 Posts

Two totally different communication protocols, and all the instruments are fed via that bus, where the 96, instruments are fed directly from the sensors..... The two systems are simply not compatible.

Old 08-21-2024, 09:52 AM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts

I think that big ANTI THEFT logo is a give away of headaches.

I'm not saying its not possible but I think it would take massive amounts of computer programming and wiring and modules to make the radio work. The days of power and ground and jamming out are gone about 20 years ago.

Without looking up part numbers I cant say which head unit specifically you have but most if not all are programmed with a VIN number, if the CAN modules inline don't much it trips the anti theft program and basically turns it into a brick if I'm not mistake. Nothing makes a better theft deterrent that making electronics brick when they're plugged into the wrong vehicle. Unfortunately this probably doesn't happen until it gets to the end user, not the thief but as the knowledge goes around people learn.

In theory if you have access, swapping all the wiring and computers into the truck could possibly make it work, but not sure that could be possible or worth while. OEM head units are still junk anyway. Less head ache and less money to buy and aftermarket unit that will just just power and ground.

Quite the task your under taking in general, would love seeing a finished product, your next issue would be the gauge cluster, nothing there will plug n play in the slightest. I'd worry about that before the radio.

Old 08-21-2024, 03:24 PM
97dodgeBalden
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew the gauges wasn't going to be capable which I'm going a custom rout on that but I was hoping there was a magic wand method on getting the stereo to work. Fortunately I see they make a after market Android touch screen with bezel that I can install That'll work with off of the 97 harness. I thank you'll for your knowledge and will post pics of the process of install.

Old Today, 03:14 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 230 Likes on 210 Posts

No.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to install radio from a 2016 Ram 1500 in a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500?