Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Alternator Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old Today, 09:51 AM
MKMcDonough
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Recommendations?

Hey guys,
Any recommendations for an alternator? I was told reman's have lost quality over the years, but I don't see new ones in stock in the big box stores.

I'm most interested in longevity... but would a high amperage version last longer since in theory it would be operating below capacity it's whole life: 250A High Output Alternator for Dodge Ram 3500, 1999 - 2000 5.9L V8 (360c.i.) - 13823-250-HD1-13 (powerbastards.com)

Thanks,
Matt

Old Today, 11:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,343 Likes on 3,085 Posts

For that kind of money, you could be a bunch of cheaper ones.... and do you really need 250 amps??? That's probably more than double stock output....

I haven't had any real issues with the reman fellers...... but, I haven't changed one in a few years either.

Old Today, 12:07 PM
MKMcDonough
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don’t need 240 amps and you’re right that I could buy multiple cheaper ones.

I want the most reliable one. Oversizing sometimes leads to higher reliability.

Right now I’m dabbling in human factors engineering. My wife and I had different visions for the van. She wants it hands down reliable and is losing confidence in it. I want to change the alternator and never worry about it again. I’m considering one of the powder coated ones from Summit just because they “look” higher quality. Lol.

Old Today, 02:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,343 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Question becomes, are you SURE it's the alternator that's the issue, and not the voltage regulator???

Quick Reply: Alternator Recommendations?