4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM
X40CB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure

Hi all,
I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT with a 4.7L Engine 2WD. Yesterday I was headed to a VA Appt but I got 1/2 mile dow n the road and notice my oil light was on as well as my oil pressure gauge was bottomed out, so UI turn into a gas station think OMG I out of il but how? I w no oil in the driveway, nevertheless, I parked on a level surface and went inside the circle K/shell station to get a quart of oil.I had seen on the last oil change sticker from take 5 they used 5w50 (I just bought this truck in April 2024) I thought it odd, so Im looking at their oils...no prices okkkkkk. And see a 5w20 and chose it, HA got to the counter and the woman rang it up $ 10.74 b4 I knew it my mouth said what the F***! so I buy it so outise raise my hood pull the dipstick pf course wiped it and reinserted it and it read FULL. I did this twice more, same FULL. So I went back in and returned that quart of il to their dismay. But I had no choice but to drive, I got to my appt went in and completed it came back out. Somewhere in the next 2-3 miles oil light went off and oil gauge returned to normal but noticed it had start running higher temp, gradually creeping, and temp outside was 75f. Made it home and all seems good, but was afraid my oil pump was failing. Thoughts?

Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,363 Likes on 3,105 Posts

If you really didn't have oil pressure, the engine would have been rattling to beat the band, and likely would have tossed parts long before you got home.... I would be lookin' real hard at the oil pressure sensor though.... They aren't the most reliable piece....

Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker
Received 65 Likes on 64 Posts

I've done a lot of oil pressure sensors in 4.7s for some reason, idk if I've replaced one in any other vehicle so far.

Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM
Los_Control
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The fact you made it home says you had oil pressure .... you need to check the sensor or replace it .... possibly a dirty connection on it or a bad ground.

Then if the temp gauge started to go up .... My first thought is a possible bad ground on the gauges that affects both .... or a different issue altogether.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure