2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Buyer Concerned About Cummins Engine Number

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2024 | 05:10 AM
mokurt
|
Amateur
Default Buyer Concerned About Cummins Engine Number

Was trying to sell my 2001 Ram 2500 4x4 5.9 cummins with 190000 miles.
Had a propective buyer and he was concerned about the engine number.
I was unaware of some issues with different numbered blocks until now.
I have not looked to see what mine is numbered .

We agreed on a price but then he asked for the VIN which I gave him then he went ghost .
Can the VIN tell what the engine number is?

Owned the truck since we bought in 2002.
Any Carfax report should show nothing wrong with it.

Anyone run into to buyers like this?

Old 09-15-2024 | 08:39 AM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker

If you really had the resources, like access to Chryslers file cabinets you MIGHT be able to figure out what plant the block was cast and what cast mold it was but that's very unlikely even then, so no, the vin wont tell you the block casting.

There are many, in my opinion, uninformed bandwagon buyers that read about the 53 block. It has a thin casting in the water jacket and will potentially crack and leak coolant. The 53 block stamping can be identified by the 53 stamped in the block just above the oil pan rail at the bottom of the block, in the area behind the power steering pump/under injection pump. I say uninformed because the percentage of 53 blocks to crack to how many were produced is relatively low. In my opinion its cheaper to replace a block than a VP44 injection pump and they are about guaranteed to fail at some point, so why worry about a 53 block. I owned a 2001 with a 53 block and it had 370k miles on it. I also had a tractor with a 53 block no issues there either.

They're out there, and running their mouth like experts thanks to the internet.

The following users liked this post:
Keith_L (09-15-2024)
Old 09-15-2024 | 09:52 AM
mokurt
|
Amateur

Thanks

Old 09-16-2024 | 11:50 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by mokurt
Was trying to sell my 2001 Ram 2500 4x4 5.9 cummins with 190000 miles.
Had a propective buyer and he was concerned about the engine number.
I was unaware of some issues with different numbered blocks until now.
I have not looked to see what mine is numbered .

We agreed on a price but then he asked for the VIN which I gave him then he went ghost .
Can the VIN tell what the engine number is?

Owned the truck since we bought in 2002.
Any Carfax report should show nothing wrong with it.

Anyone run into to buyers like this?

On the side of the block, just above the oil pan and almost directly under the oil cooler plate, will be some numbers cast into the block. 53 is the one made in Mexico and is a thinner casting. 55 is the best but 54 isn't that bad. I'm pretty sure with 190,000 miles, if you had a 53, it would have failed by now.

I deal with buyers like that from time to time. I have a 2004 Expedition and I personally checked the engine code to make sure I was getting a 16 valve engine and not the problematic 24 valve with cam phaser issues. Some buyers are well informed and honest. Others are idiots who learned one "fact" and want to be considered an expert. I had a PT Cruiser and those have issues with water pumps going when the timing belt needs replacement. I had a guy look at it in 25 degree weather. Condensation from the tail pipe as it was warming up caused him to pass as he thought the water pump was going out. It wasn't. All gas engines do that in cold weather.

Crawl under the passenger side (I think) of your truck and look for the two cast numbers. This will tell future people, worth the bother, what you have. Your VIN will tell you what engine, but not what casting you have. If I hadn't just bought a Powerstroke, I'd be interested in your truck. You'll get a buyer, don't worry.

Old 09-17-2024 | 03:23 PM
PR1AWRet
Veteran

They were trying to get a lower price.

Old 09-27-2024 | 05:57 AM
mokurt
|
Amateur

Took the truck off FB and then just relisted it yesterday
Sure as SH!! someone asked again for the block number!

Going to look for the number today.

I have owned this thing since 2002 and never had any coolant issues.

Old 09-27-2024 | 06:28 AM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker

Well that's good you haven't had issues.

Old 09-27-2024 | 10:46 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Took the truck off FB and then just relisted it yesterday
Sure as SH!! someone asked again for the block number!

Going to look for the number today.

I have owned this thing since 2002 and never had any coolant issues.

It's one thing you can tell a prospective buyer. Since you've had it so long, I'm pretty sure you have a 54 or 55 block. If someone is coming a long way, it will help them to decide. I hd a Powerstroke years ago and they drove 180 miles to look at it when I told them the service history from my ownership. They bought it and drive it home after about 20 minutes of looking at it. A friend lets me put cars up on the rack at his shop about 2 blocks away but they didn't see the need. Find the number and maybe put that in the ad. It will look like you know what you'e talaking about.

Old 09-28-2024 | 08:11 AM
mokurt
|
Amateur

I have looked for that number multiple times and can not see it!
I did see other numbers.

Old 09-28-2024 | 01:57 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

I have looked for that number multiple times and can not see it!
I did see other numbers.

If you are seeing numbers "stamped" into the block, that will be part of your VIN. Since the numbers you want are cast, they will be raised. Here is a video showing where the number is.

According to the guy making the video, some are on the passenger side and some the drivers side. The camera angle shows him going in and then you seemthe number. Not a great video, but the ighting is good enough.

Quick Reply: Buyer Concerned About Cummins Engine Number