2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Bank 2 Running lean and exhuast leak

Search this Thread

Old Today | 01:43 PM
RC423
|
Default Bank 2 Running lean and exhuast leak

Hey everyone, having weird lean codes with my 2004 dodge dakota 4.7 L V8 truck with about 162k miles. It throws a P0174 and a small exhaust leak detected code sometimes.

Things I have tried to fix it:
1) patch exhaust manifold with some high temp gasket sealer. The manifold is stuck and the bolts are seized, dont really want to try to experiment too much with it but it has never given me a lean code problem. Trying to avoid a drill and tap for the manifold.
2) checked the exhaust with a smoker to see if there are any more leaks, sealed any areas lacking best I could
3) cleaned Air intake temp sensor,
4) Cleaned intake air filter
5) replaced spark plugs
6) checked for vacuum leak with smoker, I didn't find one, only a small leak right after the air intake filter connecting to what I assume is a vacuum hose, but I patched that so there is no leak
7) MAP sensor seems to be reading around the right pressure from what I can tell based on other forums
8) Just had an oil change recently

The OBD2 is reading that the long term fuel trim is 32 percent (positive), and short term is for the most part plus or minus 10 percent on the bank 2 side. So this seems to be the source of the lean code. Although I may still have a very small exhaust leak. My o2 sensors are also fairly new, and no cat failure codes. The o2 on bank 2 is reading fairly low, like 0.055V but I dont remember which one it was so ill have to check again. The idle is also fairly low at like 500 rpm but can drop to 400 after a small rev. Seems to get better after the car warms up, but not enough to remove the lean condition.

only thing I havent tried yet is fuel injector cleaner like seafoam but I dont really want to damage the engine more. But the engine bay does smell like gas on startup. I also didn't take out the fuel injectors but it doesn't seem like an injector problem as revving to 1500 or 2k rpm mostly fixes the trim, at 2500 it goes back up for long term trim bank 2. No misfire codes since I replaced the spark plugs.

Its my daily for work, so Im still driving it, I just dont want to have a false lean, have it run rich and blow out the cat or run lean and stall.

anyone has any thoughts or has run into a similar problem?

Old Today | 05:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

What plugs did you install? Are the O2 sensor original?

Quick Reply: Bank 2 Running lean and exhuast leak