2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 Magnum Engine

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 06:33 PM
Ruby5.9
|
Default 5.9 Magnum Engine

Hey there everybody, I have a question to ask about the 5.9 magnums.. It's probably a dumb question but I am by no means a mechanic or anything... Are 5.9 magnums carbureted or are they fuel injected? I'm raising this question because I was looking at 360 magnum engines on eBay motors for shats and gaggles when I noticed the distributor cap.. which led me to believe that the engine is carbureted, but at the same time I've never taken a solid look into it even with my own truck. Something tells me it's not carbureted but I want to reach out here because I know somebody will have a definite answer. Thank you for reading and thank you for your time reader.

Old Yesterday | 06:52 PM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker

The magnum line starting in the late 80s is multi port fuel injection, meaning an injector in every hole. It does still run a distributor that has computer controlled spark timing.

Old Yesterday | 10:51 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Folks do modify and run carburetors on 5.9 magnum engines, as aluminum intake manifolds are readily available for them to accept a 4 barrel carburetor.

Old Yesterday | 11:40 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by Ruby5.9
Hey there everybody, I have a question to ask about the 5.9 magnums.. It's probably a dumb question but I am by no means a mechanic or anything... Are 5.9 magnums carbureted or are they fuel injected? I'm raising this question because I was looking at 360 magnum engines on eBay motors for shats and gaggles when I noticed the distributor cap.. which led me to believe that the engine is carbureted, but at the same time I've never taken a solid look into it even with my own truck. Something tells me it's not carbureted but I want to reach out here because I know somebody will have a definite answer. Thank you for reading and thank you for your time reader.

The Magnum engine came out in 1992 and are all fuel injected. I have seen carburetor intakes put on them to use a carburetor and the distributor can be changed to electronic ignition. In 1988, the LA engines got fuel injection but they weren't Magnums. The biggest difference from earlier engines was they had roller lifters.

At some point Chrysler changed how they are balanced. The 5.9 and 5.2 engines are balanced differently.

Quick Reply: 5.9 Magnum Engine