2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weird electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 03:12 PM
Daktal
|
Amateur
Default Weird electrical problems

Still out there working on this, figured I'd get the question out and hopefully get some ideas while I'm working.

Left turn signal strobes and clicks like a machine gun.
Power lock fuse keeps blowing

Power locks - No idea, just noticed one day that the truck stopped telling me my lights were still on, key was in the ignition and, locking the doors. Replaced the fuse yesterday, pretty sure I heard it pop and got a smell like a chemically fertilized lawn. Pulled the fuse out and left it until I could bug you guys about it.

Lights - a few months ago I bought new housings and some fancy LED bulbs (Highly recommend btw). I noticed that the driver's side turn signal was a bit faster than the other side, but all lights were working properly so I didn't worry about it. I felt the turn signals were not very bright in the new housings and got some LED bulbs. I installed them today. Now driver's side turn signal kicks on but it strobes. I get maybe 1 or 2 normal clicks and then ratatatatatatatatatata. But, again, all 4 lights work. I popped the old bulb back in before writing this and it still strobes really fast.

I recently had to yank the cigarette lighter fuse out because I was getting a mysterious battery drain. That fixed it. I only mention it because electrical problems seem to chain together. I'm sure I've got a short somewhere. I just have no idea where to start looking.

Old Yesterday | 03:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The older flasher modules are resistance dependent, bulb resistance heats it up, and causes it to flash, LED bulbs have next to no resistance...... so, hyper-flash is pretty much a given. Parts store sell electronic flashers, and they *usually* solve the issue.

Old Yesterday | 03:36 PM
Daktal
|
Amateur

I can always count on Hey You.

Man, this was a bit more than hyper flash. It flashed so fast it looked like it was just plain on. But, I got it fixed. After posting I went out and pulled the tail light housings looking for a chafed wire or something. A wire had worked it most of the way out of a loom/harness/what ever you want to call it. I jammed it back in and tried the signal. Works just fine. So I put a spot of super glue on it and buttoned everything back up.

Old Yesterday | 04:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Daktal
I can always count on Hey You.

Man, this was a bit more than hyper flash. It flashed so fast it looked like it was just plain on. But, I got it fixed. After posting I went out and pulled the tail light housings looking for a chafed wire or something. A wire had worked it most of the way out of a loom/harness/what ever you want to call it. I jammed it back in and tried the signal. Works just fine. So I put a spot of super glue on it and buttoned everything back up.
Can fix almost anything with super glue.

The following users liked this post:
Daktal (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: Weird electrical problems