Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in? Step in and let's talk about it.

How to do 2" Lift

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 08:32 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to do 2" Lift

I have never lifted a pickup before, but I want to lift my '99 1500 about 2 inches. What is the best way to do this.

Front
------
-Should I use a 2" leveling kit in the front, or just larger springs?

Rear
------
-Should I do an add-a-leaf in the rear, or blocks?

Shocks
---------
-With 2" of lift, will I need new shocks?

Thanks

Old 03-08-2005, 12:09 AM
hunt692001
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to do 2" Lift

A 2' leveling kit will help you maintain your factory ride as opposed to installing 2500 springs. Also when you level it should not require any lift in the back and if it does it will be minor. This is best fixed by removing your factory rear block (should be about 3') and adding either a new 3 1/2 ' or 4' block. With only 2' of lift you will not need to replace your shocks. This amount of lift will easily allow you to fit 32's or 33's.

Now I have a question for you. Is that flowmaster 50 series you have part of the american thunder kit? I was looking in to getting one of those and i was just wondering how it sounds.

Old 03-08-2005, 04:15 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

No, I did not do the full exhaust kit. I originally wanted to do a cat-back with 3" single in/out. But, I measured my stock exhaust pipe, and it is already 3" and mandrell bent. So, I just cut out the stock muffler, and welded in the Flowmaster. The one i got is called the Flowmaster 50 Series SUV.

I'm pretty sure the American Thunder kit only comes with the 40 Series muffler. It is the loudest. The kits that come with the 50 are called Force II. Within the 50 Series kits, you can get the 50 Series Delta Flow or 50 Series SUV. From what I understand, the 50 Series SUV is a little bigger then the Delta Flow, so it is a little quieter. In fact, for Dodge Rams, the only Flowmaster that is quieter then the 50 Series SUV is the 70 Series, which is supposed to sound just like stock.

I really like the sound of my 50 Series SUV. It is really deep toned, and when you get on it, it tends to stay deep. The 40 Series is the same, but when you step on it, it really gets loud and aggressive sounding. Flowmaster told me they all flow the same, it is just a matter of sound preference. If I could do it over again, I think I would get one a little louder then what i have now, but it still sounds good. If you want loud and aggressive, get the 40 Series American Thunder. If you want deep and not so aggressive, get the 50 series Force II kit. Either way, I think you'll be happy. Flowmasters sound great on Rams.

My turn again. I am concerned about doing only the 2" leveling kit in the front because I don't want the pickup to look funny if I have a load in the bed or am towing (even a little sag really stands out when you have the front leveled). Would an add-a-leaf keep the back from sagging to much once the front is leveled, or would the bigger block be better?

Thanks.

Old 03-09-2005, 03:46 PM
hunt692001

blocks are cheaper than add a leafs. its also better if you are towing to have a block. its easier to just change out your block than an add a leaf also. our trucks come with a standard 3' block allready so just put a 4' block and it will look sweet. Thts what im gonna do to my pickup. you can get blocks from suspension connection for like 30-40 dollars

Old 03-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Grizzly

From my standpoint if you do much hauling/towing you need some kind of adjustable suspension to compensate for the load. Used to use Monroe air shocks on my big Jeeps. Started using air bags when I moved to pickups. Lifted or not you can get the truck back up to where it belongs for any reasonable load.............. Just my two cents...........

Old 03-10-2005, 01:29 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Ya, I went to a 4x4 shop yesterday, and asked them my question. They also suggested putting air bags. They said that when I am not hauling, I can have like 20-40 pounds. Then when I put on a load, if I get any sag, boost it up to 80-100 lbs to level it back out.
Are they easy to use?

Old 03-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Grizzly

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

Ya, I went to a 4x4 shop yesterday, and asked them my question. They also suggested putting air bags. They said that when I am not hauling, I can have like 20-40 pounds. Then when I put on a load, if I get any sag, boost it up to 80-100 lbs to level it back out.
Are they easy to use?
All you need is an air supply. I think they call for a lb of air for every 50 lbs of load, but just pump it up until it's level.

Quick Reply: How to do 2" Lift