Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Rating?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 01:50 AM
1994shadowman
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Rating?

Would Tire Rack have any tires in a higher speed rating than R in P185/70/14? If so i would be very interested in buying them. But I still want a tire that i can drive in the rain and in the snow. I guess what i am saying is I just dont want any racing slicks , but a good overall tire.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:13 PM
Ben@tirerack
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Speed Rating?

Hi Shadowman, we do have tires higher than R speed rating in that size. I have S and T rated all season tires, and an H rated summer (no snow) tire. R is a speed rating that is usually used just for truck tires.

Typically the R that you see in the middle of the size stands for Radial. Our computer will list a tire with the speed rating in the middle, next to the R for radial. So a T rating would be 185/70TR14 on Tirerack.com. When looking at a tire, the speed rating will be in the service description. So a T rated tire in your size would have 185/70R14 87T branded on the sidewall. The 87 is the load index, and can change, but it will always be a load index number and a speed rating letter.
In case you're a visual learner and that's all clear as mud here's a link that shows everything that's on the tire, including where to find the speed rating.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=33

Quick Reply: Speed Rating?