1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 06:49 PM
Tempered
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!!

I have a 1998 Dodge Avenger: Sport. 2.5L

I noticed my oil was 3 days ago, so yesterday I put in 2 quarts (of the usual oil) same brand/type. And today, it was a little low still so I added another quart.

Keep in mind yesterday the car ran great.

When adding the quart today, my 2 year old bumped me and I spilled a little on the exhaust manifold (I think it is).

Ok now, it started smoking which I assumed was just the oil burning off...

I took it for a ride, and when it gets up to about 5-6k RPM's it smokes BAD. In 3rd gear when it hits 5k RPMS it smokes BAD and sometimes doesnt change gear. Is it possible I just put to much oil?

My GF's dad is an ASE Certified mechanic, but he had to go to a concert so I did not get a chance to get his opinion.

I looked under the hood and a little bit of smoke isrising from the Exhaust manifold. Also, only one of my radiator fans is working *I just noticed one was spinning the other wasnt, maybe it just self enguages when it is a certain temp*

Please, any opinions will help.

I am an unemployed college student, I buy/fix/sell cars to get by, but this is beyond me.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Tempered
Default RE: HELP!!!!

The car has 141k Miles, but I have taken care of every problem it ever had. I just think its strange that my girlfriend took my car this morning for 3 hours, I add a quart of oil and all of a sudden WHAM its not right. The car ran GREAT last night.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Tempered

I think it may need transmission fluid (it just may be a cooincidence). What type does the 2.5L V6 auto trans take?

Old 07-13-2007, 10:40 PM
monkeywrench97

Hey, I'm not a hundred percent sure about what would make the car act bad overnight but I do know that at least with my car the smoke comin off of the exhaust manifold was from a leaky valve cover. I did a tune up right after I discovered the problem so a I just replaced the valve cover gasket while I was there. btw you should check the fan, both should be running. If you turn on the a/c and only one comes on it may be the fan but if they both go on when the a/c is turned on than it may just be the fan relay. also the trans is an A604 and should just take regular ATF-3 fluid. Also is your check engine light on?

Old 07-13-2007, 11:22 PM
Tempered

It is not on. The valve cover/gasket was replaced 10k miles ago. And I spilt a little bit of oil onto the exhaust manifold. (Thats why that was smoking)

But now, it wont shift out of 3rd. It races up to 6k RPMS and wont change into 4th, it leaves a cloud of smoke behind me as well.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:49 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Do you have the overdrive button pushed in?
What color is the smoke?
Clean off the exhaust manifold area. Check your oil for any coolant and vice versa.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:10 AM
Tempered

White/Gray Smoke. I already cleaned exhaust manifold area. Have plenty of coolant/oil. I usually drive with overdrive on.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:50 AM
Tempered

I changed my oil again, and now everything is fine...hmm

But its all good now, so I wont question it. I had the Mechanic look at it and he said everything seems fine. Mustve been either water in the oil or I put to much the first time.