1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel Gauge Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 03:01 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Az93DKota
Howdy folks, Im new here and you might as well add me to the non working gas guage club. Mine works with a full tank, but once I get to a half tank. It quits working all together. Anyone know why?
At some point, it's normal for these variable output devices (resistors) to stop functioning properly.
It's a faulty sending unit, which is integrated on the fuel pump assembly.

Welcome to the club!

Old 01-31-2010, 03:03 AM
Az93DKota
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgerules86
At some point, it's normal for these variable output devices (resistors) to stop functioning properly.
It's a faulty sending unit, which is integrated on the fuel pump assembly.

Welcome to the club!
TY sir.

I guess I better bust out the syphon and get to work huh?

Old 01-31-2010, 10:35 AM
tmacdakota
Veteran

Two options to overcome the no-fuel-gauge condition, without replacing the pump...I did that and still no-fuel-gauge: Use your trip odometer...fill 'er up and reset the trip odometer...drive until the low-fuel light comes on, note the mileage...continue driving until you can't stand the gamble any more and head for the gas station...fill 'er up, reset the trip odometer and repeat; Simply drive until the low-fuel light comes on, then pull in for gas. Neither is perfect, just have to train yourself to check for the low-fuel light and/or reset the trip odometer when you get gas...or both. I'm getting about 12.8 mpg in town driving with the truck drinking about 16 of its 22 gallons at 220 miles on the trip odometer. On the highway, mileage is about the same if I'm running 70 to 80 mph with the tach over 2K...when I drop it back down to 55 to 65 mph I manage to get almost 17 mpg out my 318/5.2L V-8 with tach at 1800 or slightly less. Not great, but I'll live with it...beats another high-dollar monthly payment for a vehicle that I can't service myself and won't do near the work that my old Dak will do.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:07 PM
SEG388
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmacdakota
Two options to overcome the no-fuel-gauge condition, without replacing the pump...I did that and still no-fuel-gauge: Use your trip odometer...fill 'er up and reset the trip odometer...drive until the low-fuel light comes on, note the mileage...continue driving until you can't stand the gamble any more and head for the gas station...fill 'er up, reset the trip odometer and repeat; Simply drive until the low-fuel light comes on, then pull in for gas. Neither is perfect, just have to train yourself to check for the low-fuel light and/or reset the trip odometer when you get gas...or both. I'm getting about 12.8 mpg in town driving with the truck drinking about 16 of its 22 gallons at 220 miles on the trip odometer. On the highway, mileage is about the same if I'm running 70 to 80 mph with the tach over 2K...when I drop it back down to 55 to 65 mph I manage to get almost 17 mpg out my 318/5.2L V-8 with tach at 1800 or slightly less. Not great, but I'll live with it...beats another high-dollar monthly payment for a vehicle that I can't service myself and won't do near the work that my old Dak will do.
I kinda do the same thing. After awhile, you will train yourself to hopefully fill it up right before you know when the light will come on. I think it's not good for a vehicle to run with a tank that low. Something about it, not sure what it was. I can usually time mine when my light should come on soon and i fill it up then. About 330 mi (give or take) on a 22 gallon tank.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:11 PM
Az93DKota
Veteran

Originally Posted by tmacdakota
I could use this method but my wife would be calling me to bring her gas.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:42 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I've decided my light comes on with 4 gallons left in the tank... 18 gallons gone out of the 22. But I also only start using the trip meter after the light comes on, cause average gas milage in my truck greatly varies with my right foot! Sometimes the light comes on around 220 mi, sometimes 250, sometimes 275. But I'm usually safe to assume I have 30-40 miles left when the light comes on!

And true, its not good for the tank to run too low since it uses the gas to cool the pump, but I'd be going to the gas station way to often if I don't let it run low!!!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:23 PM
oxygen454
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My fuel gauge wasn't working, turned out the arm which has the floater on it, fell off inside the tank. I had to drop the tank and put the floater arm back on. Other option is to lift the bed off the truck to access the pump. Used a drill pump to pump the gas out before dropping the tank. (warning says not to use a drill pump with fuels, oh well). Siphon pumps work too.

One way to test the gauge is to disconnect the wiring harness off the pump. I cant remember exactly but it should either ping the gauge to the Full or Empty. I think it was Full? The pump sending unit works on a resistance style potentiometer if I remember right.

I have my writeup here http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...ad.php?t=73372

Last edited by oxygen454; 01-31-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:40 PM
seuf

I failed to mention. I am recieving no reading from the gauge not even a low fuel light. There also appears to be an indicator in the gauge for the fuel door open is this correct. I'm a newby when it comes to Dodges. Not up to date on what options were available.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:13 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well there is always the option that the gauge is dead. You may want to take the instrument cluster out and check the connectors and ground connections.

There is no warning light for the fuel door being open.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:37 PM
micahthorlawson

I have the same problem with my 93 dakota, I usually get about 260 miles until my light comes on. It never bothered me too much but now I plan on replaceing the fuel pump, so I plan on lookin in to it and seeing what needs to be done while i got it apart

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge Not Working