1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel Gauge Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:02 AM
Dodge4lyfe
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the tank is full on my Dakota, the only way to get the correct level is to turn the key on with it not running. Once it starts and i'm driving, it normally sits on the E peg unless i hit a big bump then it jumps around...Once i get to 1/2 empty in the tank, the fuel gauge works properly and will until it gets to E. Not a big deal for me since i can still tell when i'm getting low, but was just curious as to why it is doing that. I figure the sending unit is worn out or something like that...guess i'll just live with it until it fails completely.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:59 PM
kahanabob
Captain

if the sending unit is bad will the light still work? My gauge is peged on full and have not tried to see if the light will come on. Guess i will carry 5 full gal gas can and try it>>>have a 90 LE extended cab 3.9 how do i tell my gas tank size?

Old 02-11-2010, 11:18 PM
oxygen454
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Im wondering if your floater got stuck against the tank on the top half some how? I have heard of it happening before. Somehow the pump shifts and the floater gets stuck either at the top or the bottom showing full or empty.

Just a note... If the arm is totally off, it should show empty all the time lol.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:42 PM
s4m1am
Question

ok so my truck is for sale right now and the only thing holding back on my buyer is that the gas gauge wont work. my gauge goes where it pleases and my gas light has never came on. is it more probable that its has something to do with the dash than the sender unit? or are the gauge and light not conected?
i always just use the trip but its going to a teenager who wont be filling the tank every time. the buyer would be happy if the light at least came on how can i check it?
by the way perfect timing on this thread

Old 02-13-2010, 03:04 AM
oxygen454
Veteran

Check your wiring
Check resistance output from pump harness for readings. (ohms)
Remove tank and see if there is something wrong with your floater.
Sender unit or gauge could be defective...

Old 02-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Az93DKota
Veteran

Originally Posted by s4m1am
ok so my truck is for sale right now and the only thing holding back on my buyer is that the gas gauge wont work. my gauge goes where it pleases and my gas light has never came on. is it more probable that its has something to do with the dash than the sender unit? or are the gauge and light not conected?
i always just use the trip but its going to a teenager who wont be filling the tank every time. the buyer would be happy if the light at least came on how can i check it?
by the way perfect timing on this thread
If your gauge is bouncing around. whenever it wants too. I would start at the gauge itself and track the connections and wiring.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:17 AM
Gummer
Professional

yeah. my truck has a low fuel like... but my gauge wasnt working because the sending unit was fried. replaced everything in the tank.. works brand new... the little circuit board was all fried and black.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:00 AM
Az93DKota
Veteran

Which circuit board is for the low fuel? Isn't there 2?

Old 02-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Gummer
Professional

*shrugs* i'm not sure.. the one that the float level on the sendinng unit ...

Old 02-15-2010, 12:54 AM
oxygen454
Veteran

There is one board, and its on the pump. I will see if I can find the pics. They were on my web link earlier. The floater arm and circuit board work as a potentiometer telling the gauge what level its at with voltage/resistance levels.

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge Not Working