1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel Gauge Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 01:23 AM
1SEC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I found this technical service bulletin while searching for fuel gauge problems, hope it helps.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1994/08-33-94.htm

1991 - 1993 (AD) Ram Pick Up/Ramcharger
1991 - 1993 (AD) Ram Pick Up/Ramcharger

Old 04-26-2013, 12:26 PM
MacDak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, 1sec! Me old '93 3.9 gauge has been flopping around since way back. Odometer is broken too, so I can't use that trick, but my low gas light seems to be accurate. When it comes on, I have about 4 gallons left, like old crazy said for his '93.

Can someone please post pics of how to replace the sending unit? Fuel pump and sending unit MUST be replaced at same time? Me old haid is like a waffle - got to have things lined up real neat so I can get it.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:16 PM
kahanabob
Captain

go to page 3 of this old thread about half way down also on page 4 is pic,s

Old 04-26-2013, 07:33 PM
comingbackdown

For what it's worth, mine didn't work when I bought it. Wasn't the gauge or the unit being shot, it was dirt that had fused itself to the contacts inside the tank. Dropped the tank, cleaned up the contacts with a penny, bent the contact arm a bit so it made proper contact and it has worked ever since.

If it's not the gauge this might be your issue. Good luck, brother.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:37 PM
MacDak
Professional

Originally Posted by kahanabob
go to page 3 of this old thread about half way down also on page 4 is pic,s
Kahana, I need photos of HOW to install. I can't tell anything by those earlier ones.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:42 PM
kahanabob
Captain
Old 04-27-2013, 11:43 PM
MacDak
Professional

Thanks, kahana! Now you speak my language.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:08 AM
mvigo

thanks for the info in this thread. I replaced my fuel pump/sending unit today with much direction coming from what I learned here. I took the bed off, couldn't have been easier. Replaced old fuel pump with new Carter pump and the gas gauge is working. I had to swap over from the old to the new the rollover check valve and the vent tube.

The gauge read 1/2 full when I turned on ignition (about right). I filled up the tank with gas and the gauge reads full, so far so good. My real question is it seems the gas gauge's reading does not go to empty when ignition off, is this correct?

Old 05-05-2013, 11:53 AM
BKCowGod
Professional

Originally Posted by mvigo
thanks for the info in this thread. I replaced my fuel pump/sending unit today with much direction coming from what I learned here. I took the bed off, couldn't have been easier. Replaced old fuel pump with new Carter pump and the gas gauge is working. I had to swap over from the old to the new the rollover check valve and the vent tube.

The gauge read 1/2 full when I turned on ignition (about right). I filled up the tank with gas and the gauge reads full, so far so good. My real question is it seems the gas gauge's reading does not go to empty when ignition off, is this correct?
The Dakota holds all gauges at their previous point until you turn the ignition back on. I sorta like the feature - I can turn off the engine and it still tells me where my temp was. (My $80k Range Rover doesn't do this... of course, I paid $500 for it and very little on it works right. So maybe it did at one time)

Old 05-07-2013, 12:04 PM
DirtyHarry83
Amateur

I made a post on how I pulled the bed of my truck to replace the fuel pump. It shows how to align everything.

I tried to include a lot of pictures.

I see people posting about sending units and gauges a lot. Makes me wish I was here more to point to my posts.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ml#post2830559

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge Not Working