1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

90 Dakota Auto v6 hard shifting. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Erbarne18
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 Dakota Auto v6 hard shifting. Help?

I have a '90 dakota 4x4 with the 3.9l automatic v6. For the last month or two it has been shifting really rough on me. Almost every time that I shift into reverse or drive, from park or neutral or whatever, there is a loud "bang" as it shifts into gear and it feels as though I am about to drop the tranny or something. It is a strong runner and I havn't come across any other problems than minor suspension fixes and cosmetics. This is the only thing that is causing me a problem right now. If anyone has had experience with this I would definitely appreciate some input on what to do to get it fixed.

Much thanks in advance!

Old 09-25-2010, 05:29 PM
luthoro
Professional

Mine "bangs" audibly when I shift from park to R or D. Been doing so since I bought it. Still shifts gears well when I am driving though, so I don't think it means anything.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:37 PM
kahanabob
Captain

I would get it flushed.......

Old 09-26-2010, 02:03 AM
gladiator
Rookie

is the bang sound from lash in the driveline?
maybe put your trans in neutral with the wheels blocked and check driveshaft for free rotation. Could be differential gears, or slip joint on driveshaft?

also, what is the engine rpm when making the D-N-R shift? Too high rpm?

Last edited by gladiator; 09-26-2010 at 02:05 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:36 AM
Erbarne18

That was one of the first things I checked, thinking that when I shifting the driveline was whiplashing. But low and behold no slop whatsoever. It's super tight. The RPM's aren't abnormal at all when shifting either. She can be sittting quiet as a baby and every time I shift into reverse or drive... "TING!!!"

Old 09-26-2010, 07:49 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

Maybe try changing the fluid and filter. Cheapest and easiest thing to do.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:49 PM
luthoro
Professional

I already did that and mine didn't stop it. If its like my Dakota, and only doing it when shifting from Park to D or R but shifts smooth when accelerating, I wouldn't worry about it as long as your trans fluid is at a good level.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:05 AM
56Dusty
Exclamation noise when shifting

My 89 did almost exactly that. CLANG! if shifted out of P and if shifting D/R. Finally traced it down to a bad U-joint. Had to have the truck up on stands, in neutral, and twist on the driveshaft. Much longer and I would probably have lost the shaft on the street. Yikes!

56Dusty

Old 09-28-2010, 06:28 AM
Erbarne18

This was also one of the first things that I checked. My first instinct was the driveshaft, so I checked for slop in the line and there was none. So I went out and bought a u-joint to be safe. The one that was on it was damn near brand new already so it is still sitting in the back of my truck cab lol.

The last couple days I have noticed once or twice a day that it will slip for just a few seconds going from 2nd to 3rd. This is what has made me positive that my problems, even the loud clang, is in the tranny. I think, because I love the truck body and the engine and everything else are sound, I'm going to suck it up and just have the tranny rebuilt... =\

(after the previous advice of having it flushed of course... =) I would hate to make my self look silly because it just needed a good cleansing)

Quick Reply: 90 Dakota Auto v6 hard shifting. Help?